Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am the first year with Proseries Professional 2019 It indicated that EF is ready on 01.21.20 It meant we cannot efile now. What should we do to not overwhelm work then?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Level 15
Level 15

Actually IRS wont be open for efiling until the 27th...Im not sure I understand the rest of your question....

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Thank, Lisa 

That sounds late. Thank

0 Cheers
Level 15
Level 15

Its always the last week of January.  The DIY programs will let you "file" earlier, but they just hold the returns in queue until IRS opens for Efile processing.

I never Efile the first few opening days, the systems are overloaded with DIY returns, seen too many weird things happen, returns get hung up longer and scrutinized closer...the scammers and fraudsters try and get returns filed as early as possible.

Opening day is Monday the 27th, I wont be sending anything in until Friday at the soonest.  Which year was it that early filed returns got hung up in processing?    I had one client stuck in that mess,  took 2 months to get her refund, had I waited 3 or 4 days, it would have saved her 4-5 weeks.

Level 11
Level 11

Lisa, you are not allowed to stockpile returns. Here is the rule on stockpiling from pub 1345

Submitting the Electronic Return to the IRS
Once signed, an ERO must originate the electronic submission of a return as soon as possible. EROs
must not electronically file individual income tax returns prior to receiving Forms W-2, W-2G or 1099-R. If
the taxpayer is unable to secure and provide a correct Form W-2, W-2G, or 1099-R, Distributions from
Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc., the ERO may
electronically file the return after the taxpayer completes Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and
Tax Statement or 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans,
IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc., in accordance with the use of that form. If Form 4852 is used, the nonstandard W-2 indicator must be included in the record, and the ERO must maintain Form 4852 in the
same manner required for Forms W-2, W-2G and 1099-R.
An ERO must ensure that stockpiling of returns does not occur at its offices. Stockpiling is:
• collecting returns from taxpayers or from another Authorized IRS e-file Provider prior to official
acceptance in IRS e-file; or
• after official acceptance to participate in IRS e-file, stockpiling refers to waiting more than three
calendar days to submit the return to the IRS once the ERO has all necessary information for
origination.

Level 15
Level 15

@Terry53029 wrote:

Lisa, you are not allowed to stockpile returns. Here is the rule on stockpiling from pub 1345

Submitting the Electronic Return to the IRS
Once signed, an ERO must originate the electronic submission of a return as soon as possible. EROs
must not electronically file individual income tax returns prior to receiving Forms W-2, W-2G or 1099-R. If
the taxpayer is unable to secure and provide a correct Form W-2, W-2G, or 1099-R, Distributions from
Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc., the ERO may
electronically file the return after the taxpayer completes Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and
Tax Statement or 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans,
IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc., in accordance with the use of that form. If Form 4852 is used, the nonstandard W-2 indicator must be included in the record, and the ERO must maintain Form 4852 in the
same manner required for Forms W-2, W-2G and 1099-R.
An ERO must ensure that stockpiling of returns does not occur at its offices. Stockpiling is:
• collecting returns from taxpayers or from another Authorized IRS e-file Provider prior to official
acceptance in IRS e-file; or
• after official acceptance to participate in IRS e-file, stockpiling refers to waiting more than three
calendar days to submit the return to the IRS once the ERO has all necessary information for
origination.

Thanks Terry,

I'll take my chances and advocate in my client's best interest, appreciate your concern.. CAGMC

Level 9
Level 9
The IRS will start accepting returns January 27, 2020. You can still enter them and print (if forms are final) and then efile when efile is ready.

Thank All Star

I got it 

0 Cheers
Level 9
Level 9
You're welcome.
0 Cheers