Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am restructuring my price schedule. I sure could use something to compare to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bchampion64
Level 1

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Most tax professionals dont disclose their fees, and they vary widely by location anyhow so what is reasonable for one, may not be for another.

NATP does a fee study for different areas, might be a good place to start.

https://www.natptax.com/explore/Pages/Fee-Study.aspx

Im not sure if you can download for free or if you need to be a member.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

Compare to what other preparers are charging in your area.  What someone charges in Cowpie Montana is probably going to be different that what someone charges in New York.  If you are better than your competitors, charge more.  If you aren't as good as your competitors, or don't have the experience they do don't charge more.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Are you operating at full capacity? Do you have annoying clients that you want to get rid of? What are other CPA firms and tax preparers charging in your area? Do not undercut yourself with a low fee. Some clients equate the quality of the work with the fee, I.E. if you don't charge enough they may think that you did a Mickey Mouse job... Just my opinion...

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

On the other hand, If you aren't as good as your competitors, still charge more, and get good.

How to get good?  Stick around and learn from @BobKamman @George4Tacks  @IRonMaN 

@Just-Lisa-Now- @sjrcpa....  (Privately to Bob: the above is in alphabetical order....)

I stick around for the same very reason.  (or is it very same reason...?)

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
qbteachmt
Level 15

"What someone charges in Cowpie Montana is probably going to be different that what someone charges in New York."

Hey!?! Haven't you heard; those New Yawkers all came here and now the prices are through the roof!

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dkh
Level 15

If you have to charge less than other local preparers, don't charge so much lower that clients are coming to you just because your fees are lower. 

I remember being told by a new client that was why he switched to me..... it left a bad taste in my mouth.

IRonMaN
Level 15

We have had a number of clients over the years say that we don't charge enough, but I have never had anybody come through the door saying they came to visit because we worked cheaper than their prior preparer.  The firm I started out with was known as "good but they charge a lot".  I have over compensated for that over the years ------ but I sleep good at night and nobody can ever say that we screwed them by charging too much.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@dkh you are exactly right. The Cheapo type client always finds out who is charging a lower fee and they gravitate towards that tax preparer like flies towards hippopotamus dung....🦛

IRonMaN
Level 15

Over the years, the vast majority of my new clients have come from the referrals of my existing clients.  So if you have a number of what you consider "cheapo" clients, expect more of the same when they spread the word to their "cheapo" friends and neighbors. 😆 

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Iron Man you hit the nail on the head... I got rid of most of the Cheapo clients years ago... I have a few left over because I am friends with them... Another thing to watch are prospective new clients that'll show up in the first half of April... My experience is that these people are what I call jumpers, IE cheapos who move around from accounting to accountant... it is better to have no work at all then to work for a cheap #@$ client... 

dkh
Level 15

I stopped taking new clients a few years ago (with the occasional exception) and I've increased my rates to equal the value of my services so I don't have any cheapo types any more. 😁

PATAX
Level 15

You're exactly right dkh... I didn't accept new clients for years, but now many of my older clients have passed away, so I too will occasionally accept a new client that is a relative or friend of an existing client... even though all of us on this forum do complain, and I will admit that I am the first, I think that we are all pretty fortunate to be our own bosses....

mdtao31
Level 7

i charge on a situation basis, i e on financial situation.

happy to say it has worked very well over

the years . got to the point of turning clients away

regards, Larry

stay safe

ljr
Level 8

and the Cheapo clients do jump between firms every year or so. Had a client tell me once he could get it done somewhere else for x amount cheaper - I told him to have a nice day and to go there. We work too hard for our education and experience so make sure you charge for what you are worth.

PATAX
Level 15

@ljr you are exactly right.... and after a while those jumper Cheapo clients will run out of local CPAs and tax preparers to do their returns, and then they will have to catch a plane ride to find a new tax preparer... good riddance...✈

0 Cheers