Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sexual harassment lawsuit...given 1099MISC in Box 7

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Filed claim for sexual harassment, wrongful termination that was settled out of court.  

Issued a W2 for compensation - no problem

Temp agency that she was working for issued a 1099MISC income in Box 3

Actual company she was working for issued 1099MISC income in Box 7

Company paid attorney fees, she didn't have to pay them out of her settlement, so no issues there.

What I'm reading (IRS lawsuits, awards, and settlements audit techniques guide) is that this is all taxable income, unless she suffered some kind of physical or emotional injury and the income was for medical care (therapy etc)...am I interpreting this correctly?

I cant imagine this being considered NEC income since she got the W2 for compensation, so I'm going to move over it to Other Income.

Am I missing anything that might make any of this potentially non-taxable? 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

I had 1 exactly like that a few years back and we had them issue a corrected 1099 with the amount in box 3.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
a few years ago the IRS started sending notices to anyone w/1099misc box 7 and no schedule C with SE due, so you might not want to put on line 21. I also believe it is all taxable
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'd put it on Sch C, to avoid the CP2000, but take it back off and then put it on Line 21.

I think its all taxable too, but I felt bad for her and told her Id do some more research and let her know for sure. It was $12,000 total that she got, she ends up owing about $800 between fed and state, but shes young and everyone wants that refund! LOL so I figured it didn't hurt to ask around.

:smile:

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

I had 1 exactly like that a few years back and we had them issue a corrected 1099 with the amount in box 3.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

The 1099 is taxable income, not SE income. Either get it corrected to box 3 or file the Sch C with the gross income and then back it out and put on line 21.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I just called, sounds like they've got their company phone being auto forwarded to a cell phone, the message tells me its a totally different phone number than I dialed.  I'll try them again in the morning.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

My office manager, when she was *just* a client, was badly injured in a head-on collision (over ten years ago).  She had to go thru an attorney to get a reasonable settlement. The F 1099 showed up with the amount as NEC.   I still remember the battle I went thru to get it corrected.  

I'd get it corrected rather than the in/out on Schedule C just in case there are any questions two/three years from now.  The Company might not still be in business then.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'll give them a call and see how far I get...I'm just afraid they wont correct it properly and just send in another one with Box 3 and the income will be doubled up.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
NO.... "that" never, ever happens, does it ??  :joy::joy:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I agree, the audit guide says that sexual harassment settlements are taxable.

You also say "wrongful termination".  Is that for missed pay?

As for box 7 ... that is usually for "services" ... sexual harassment ... hmmm.   :smiley:

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
That was my argument with the attorney.   She is not in the business of getting sexually harassed.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Looks like $6000 was included on the W2 and taxed, then $6000 on a 1099MISC Box 3 were from the temp agency she was working for, then the actual business issued her a 1099MISC with $6850 in Box 7.   

I think the business messed up and didn't know what they were doing when they put it in box 7.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
"She is not in the business of getting sexually harassed."  right?!?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
TGB...too funny 🙂
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I'm guessing you need to have the sexual stuff to make the big money?  My ACME attorney said I wouldn't make more than 10 points if I sued for the harassment I receive here :cry::cry:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers