Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to e-file 207 1040 and software won't let me unless I purchase 2018 software. 2017 was already paid for. Why is this happening?

cepate
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

I believe re-licensing may solve the problem (but a PS user will confirm).

BUT, the IRS is closed for efiling anyway, until later this month.  Just FYI

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

I believe re-licensing may solve the problem (but a PS user will confirm).

BUT, the IRS is closed for efiling anyway, until later this month.  Just FYI

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
you have to buy 2018 FastPath, a way to generate $$ for Intuit.
0 Cheers
cepate
Level 1
What if a person did not plan on doing any ttax returns for 2018, why would they have to pay hundreds of dollars for a tax software and there was a notice that 2016 and 2017 returns could now be filed.?
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
It does not matter if you don't want to file 2018 tax returns.  They changed it a few years ago that you need to pay the Fast Path fee every year (about $270?) in order to print or e-file any new tax return (including for prior years).

The notice may have said that the IRS has now opened the e-file system for prior year for BUSINESS returns (corporations, partnerships, etc.), but not 1040s.  That doesn't open until January 28th.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As was mentioned, you have three issues:

1. In order to print or e-file a new tax return, you need to pay the Fast Path Licensing fee for 2018 software.  It doesn't matter that you paid it for the 2017 software.
  2. Once you do that, you need to go to the "Tools" menu and re-license the software.
  3. Once you do that, you can print the tax return.  You can e-file the 1040 when the IRS opens the e-file system, around January 28th.
0 Cheers