Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSA

quiltensue
Level 2

My client W2 shows $4750 HSA code W, but the stub of the W2 shows that $4,000 of that was put

in by the taxpayer through payroll deduction.  There is no way on the 8889 put in her $4,000 and change the employer's contribution to $750 so this greatly reduces the refund she should be getting.

Any work-around?   In the past I was able to click the box to open and put in a minus $4000 with the notation that it was insured's contribution, but if I do it this year, I get an error and can't efile.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They wont always match due to the employer making the contributions a month in arrears...don't make any additional entries on the 8889 unless the employee made contributions outside of payroll.

Just mark the Self or Family boxes in that smart worksheet near the top of the 8889 and your errors will disappear.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@quiltensue wrote:

There is no way on the 8889 put in her $4,000 and change the employer's contribution to $750 so this greatly reduces the refund she should be getting.

You DON'T enter that she made a $4000 contribution.  That deduction has already been taken because the employer reduced the W-2 by $4000.