Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSA Limit

RichardS77
Level 4

I  have a client that is clearly over 55 (she's 60) and is entitled to the extra $1,000 HSA contribution bringing the total to $4,550.  (See IRS publication page 6)  For some reason Pro Series is assessing a penalty on form 5329 and should not.  Why is that and how do I correct it..

Thanks In advance for your help.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

And youve got a W2 with a Code W on Box 12 on it with an amount that's 4550 or less on it?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
did you go to the 8889 and check the box for Self in the Line 3 Smart worksheet below Line 2?

RichardS77
Level 4

Yes, and when I check "Self-only" it populates with $3,550.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
scroll down the screen a bit more, Line 3 should have the 4550 on it...

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

were all the contributions made through payroll?  If so, all you need to mark is that Self Box in the Smart Worksheet on the 8889, dont enter anything else on it.

0 Cheers
RichardS77
Level 4

line 3 does but the 12 months above in  the worksheet populates with 3550

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
thats correct...do you still have a 5329 penalty?

0 Cheers
RichardS77
Level 4

yes

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So it was contributions through payroll, right?

This is what the 8889 should look like.  If youre getting a penalty, youve got some other entry mucking stuff up somewhere.

8889.png

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Try deleting and re-entering her date of birth.  And make sure it's before 1965.  

RichardS77
Level 4

yes, that's what it looks like.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

And youve got a W2 with a Code W on Box 12 on it with an amount that's 4550 or less on it?

RichardS77
Level 4

did that here birth date is 10/04/60

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Then maybe delete the 8889, and the 5329 while you're at it, and try opening them again?  Maybe delete the W-2 entry for HSA contributions also.  

RichardS77
Level 4

I got support on the line and had to go back delete the "W" from w-2 and remove 8879 and then reenter the the "w" on the w-2 and it fixed it.

Thanks!!