Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report and calculate when your rental house becomes your main residence

KristinC9
Level 2

I had a client who converted his rental on 06/01/2020 to his main home. How do I report, He sold his main home. and the partial year rental activitiy??

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Camp1040
Level 10

Report a half year of rental income and expenses, enter 6/1/20 as date sold with amount left blank, print the depreciation report for use down the road. This should have been covered in some class you took.

If he sold the rental in the same year he stopped renting it, it did not become his main home for exclusion.

dkh
Level 15

Complete the Home Sale Worksheet for house taxpayer had as principal residence before making the rental his principal residence.    And report on Schedule E all rental activity (income/expenses/depreciation) that occurred prior to taxpayer converting rental to principal residence.  See Camp1040 reply regarding entering sale date to stop depreciation.

Camp1040
Level 10

I missed the point of two different properties, I thought the OP was asking about a single propety.

dkh
Level 15

I'm not positive there are two properties just going on an assumption. 😁

KristinC9
Level 2

Yes , there are 2 properties. 

They sold thier main home,  and converted their rental property into thier main residence.