Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to find State EINs for taxpayers who need to report taxable refunds from prior years?

jperry
Level 2

Client is amending a 2017 tax return.  her wage and income statement from IRS shows two 1099-Gs received - taxable refunds from two states (New Jersey and Illinois).

I have the last four of EIN for the states, but I can't seem to find a way to locate the full EIN.

Does anyone have advice on how to locate the EINs?  My client insists they never received the 1099-Gs...

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

GOOGLES SAYS THIS FOR NJ UNEMPLOYMENT SHOULD BE SAME FOR REFUND

What is the federal ID number for NJ unemployment? 74-2764775 Federal Income Taxes & Your Unemployment Benefits — TWC

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15
jperry
Level 2

Thank you for sending!  

The last four digits listed for New Jersey on the 1099-G from the IRS Wage and Income Transcript is 6013.

I don't know what to do...?

0 Cheers
jperry
Level 2

Thank you for sending!  This is an amazing list, that I will keep and use in the future for sure!

Though, comparing the last four of the EIN from the Wage and Income Transcript 1099-G (6013), it doesn't match any EIN on the list you provided.

Any suggestions as to how to cross-check?

Thank you again!

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Sorry  I don't know.  Maybe find a NJ tax practitioner to call????

Did the client itemize in 2016 that you need to report that state refunds on the 2017 federal return?  

0 Cheers
jperry
Level 2

Yes, I think I will call NJ. 

Yes, the taxpayer did Itemize in 2016 unfortunately.