Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter W-2 wages for Ohio RITA when only part-year is reportable/taxable to them?

linduca1216
Level 7

W-2 wages for 5 months, but only 3 of them are reportable to OH RITA.  Should it just be split on federal entry for W-2 even though only one lump sum amount is shown?  Or, on page 1,  just over-ride a line and show as negative wages and withholding for non-RITA portion to make the adjustment?  RITA is not the workplace city in this situation...

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
TAXOH
Level 11

If you put in the move dates and also the W2 wage dates it should automatically calculate for you.

linduca1216
Level 7

Not seeing that happen....

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

Page 1 you checked the box for residency status and # of times moved with the dates and addresses?

That usually works for me.  If it doesn't you can override because it can't be efiled anyways 

linduca1216
Level 7

Yup.   Marked "part-year" resident. Times moved:  one.

So, right now, I'm showing the W-2 wages (first year with this company)  as fully reported from 8/1 thru 10/31.

From 11/1 thru 12/31, taxpayer no longer in the district. I added another negative line to back out the last two months of W-2 wages as I allocated/prorated it for that period of time...

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

Sometimes it's a real pain getting it entered the right way to get it to calculate it correctly.   I've given up once in a while and will do overrides.

linduca1216
Level 7

Yup.   I know what you mean!   Workarounds to get where you need to be...

Ended up breaking W-2 wages up into two sections on the federal and then marking one as taxable to the city and the other not.   The over-ride was the other option.