Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter the PPP forgiveness on 1120S Sch M-2

acook
Level 2

Based on the 1120 S instructions the PPP forgiveness amount is tax exempt income reported on M-2 OAA column d. This can only be done by putting the amount in the tax exempt interest line. How do we account for the expenses paid in current year using PPP funds? The instructions say it should be in M-2 column a and line 5 column d. Can't seem to get these adjustments into Proseries without error and throwing my M-1 off.

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Samih
Level 1

Has anyone figured this out yet?  Having the same problem.

0 Cheers
acook
Level 2

No but I'm hoping I hear from someone as I have a large amount of S Corps ready to go just waiting on how to handle this.

0 Cheers
StephanieS
Level 2

I'm having the same problem as well.  The IRS 1120-S instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120s.pdf state "If column (a) on line 2 or line 4 of the Schedule M-2 includes expenses paid with proceeds from forgiven PPP loans, an S corporation should report that amount in column (a) on line 3 and in column (d) on line 5 of the Schedule M-2. 

Line 3 is fine in ProSeries, but I can't get it on Line 5 without getting errors.
How do we input the expenses paid from forgiven PPP loans on M-2?

0 Cheers
acook
Level 2

We have a work around that we've been doing just to get the returns out the door.

Print your M-2 for ref, then for your M-2 worksheet options :

-compute M-2? YES

-use automated Schedule M-2/Retained Earnings Worksheets? NO

Go in and manually fill in the M-2, the balance sheet retained earnings and the Sch K 16d, if applicable. Adding PPP to Line 3 column a and d and line 5 column d.

This effectively wipes out the OAA and increases the AAA account. 

StephanieS
Level 2

Thank you!  I thought about doing that yesterday but thought I was just missing something!  

0 Cheers
DanCoc
Level 2

Thanks for the work around, just checking back in to see if ProSeries is planning on providing a modification to the Sch M2 to just allow for this specific expense recording without having to disconnect from having the software flow the rest of the information over.

0 Cheers
StephanieS
Level 2

I haven't seen a way yet, but am also hoping ProSeries gives us a better way to do it than essentially preparing the M-2 manually.

0 Cheers
cpa72
Level 3

Same issue.  My workaround was to do an override on the M2 worksheet as opposed to doing the M2 manually.

0 Cheers
Argelia
Level 1

The software does not let me enter the distributions on M-2 only on K-1 16b

0 Cheers