Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Compute IRA Basis to Transfer to Spouse in Year of Death?

The taxpayer died in 2017 before satisfying his RMD.  The spouse chose to treat his IRA as her own.  The taxpayer had basis in his IRA.  Since his IRA accounts were transferred to the spouse, the value of his accounts were $0 on 12/31/17, which is what is asked for on his Form 8606.  If I drop in $0, all his basis is recovered in 2017.  That doesn't make sense to me.  It makes more sense to drop in the value of his accounts on the date of death, let the program compute how much of the basis he can recover tax-free, and then transfer the remainder basis to the spouse.  Then on her return, take the transferred basis and let the program compute how much she can recover tax-free, using her 12/31/17 IRA value which now includes the IRAs transferred from the deceased spouse.  My problem is I can't find how to handle the deceased spouse basis situation anywhere, not in Pub 590, not in the instructions to Form 8606, or in any regulations.  I keep thinking I am missing something obvious as this cannot be anything unique.  Can someone point me to something authoritative?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Edit:  Wait, I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.  If he had no distributions, why are you trying to report the value of his IRAs on an 8606?

From Pub 590B (page 14, about 1/3 of the way down the second column):

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

Note. When figuring the nontaxable and taxable amounts of distributions made prior to death in the year the IRA account owner dies, the value of all traditional (including SEP) and SIMPLE IRAs should be figured as of the date of death instead of December 31.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
rbynaker
Level 13

Edit:  Wait, I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.  If he had no distributions, why are you trying to report the value of his IRAs on an 8606?

From Pub 590B (page 14, about 1/3 of the way down the second column):

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

Note. When figuring the nontaxable and taxable amounts of distributions made prior to death in the year the IRA account owner dies, the value of all traditional (including SEP) and SIMPLE IRAs should be figured as of the date of death instead of December 31.

Rick

0 Cheers
He did have distributions, just not the entire amount needed to satisfy RMD.  Sorry for not being clear on that.

Thank you for pointing me to the appropriate spot in Pub 590.  I’m not sure how I missed it.  It looks like I did it properly.
0 Cheers
bryce2
Level 1

The value of the account as of date of death should be used, then any remaining basis passes to the beneficiaries.  See:

https://www.irahelp.com/forum-post/11985-basis-year-death

0 Cheers