Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to amend a return to claim the recovery rebate for the stimulus that wasn't claimed on the original return. It's not appearing on the 1040x

jknudsen
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

I would wait to see if IRS adds it to the refund anyway.  Or has that already been issued without it?  

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

AMENDING 2020 1040 FOR RECOVERY REBATE ERROR - Intuit Accountants Community

Here you go... be sure and read my last post.  guidance says we do have to amend IF you didn't claim any RRC on the original return.

if you entered wrong amount:

DO NOT file an amended tax return with the IRS. If you entered an amount on line 30 but made a mistake in calculating the amount, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to your tax return and continue processing your return. If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

here is a good link:

2020 Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic G: Correcting issues after the 2020 tax return is filed | Intern...

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
BobKamman
Level 15

As I was about to say,

Here’s a better answer from IRS:

Q G1. I'm eligible for a 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit but did not claim it on my 2020 tax return. Do I need to amend my 2020 tax return? (added March 1, 2021)

A1. If you didn't claim the credit on your original tax return, you will need to file an Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040-X. The IRS will not calculate the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit for you if you did not enter any amount on your original tax return.

You can use the Interactive Tax Assistant, Should I File an Amended Return?, to help determine if you should amend your original tax return.

If you need to file an amended return to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit, use the worksheet on page 59 of the 2020 instructions for Form 1040 and 1040-SR to determine the amount of your credit. Enter the amount on the Refundable Credits section of the 1040-X and include "Recovery Rebate Credit" in the Explanation of Changes section.

If you filed your 2020 return electronically and need to file an amended return, you may be able to file Form 1040-X electronically.

If you did not file your 2020 return electronically, you will need to submit a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and mailing the paper form.

Those filing their Form 1040-X electronically or on paper can use the Where's My Amended Return? online tool to check the status of their amended return.

DO NOT file an amended tax return if you entered an incorrect amount for the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return. If you entered an amount on line 30 but made a mistake in calculating the amount, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to your tax return and continue processing your return. If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-g-correcting-issues-after-the-2020-ta... 

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

and on my 1040X under my situation (did not claim the RRC originally), i had to manually input all the info on the 1040X (original and corrected) to make it work.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
jknudsen
Level 1

Thank you all for the replies, I went in today to do it manually and they've updated the system now. YAY!!

0 Cheers