Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW IS PROSERIES HANDLING THE 8915-F CARRYOVER FROM 2020

Olympus Tax
Level 3

INTUIT HAS DECIDED NOT TO CARRYOVER THE INFORMATION ON THE 8915-E CARRYOVER TO 2021 AND 2022. WE ARE SUPPOSED TO REMEMBER AND INSERT IT ON THE SCHEDULE 1 OTHER INCOME.

149 Comments 149
Camp1040
Level 10

The general consensus is to wait for proseries to release the form on 3/17 .

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Were waiting on the 8915F that will be used for 2021.   IRS hasnt even got it ready to go yet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Olympus Tax
Level 3

I completely realize that the IRS doesn't have the 8915-f ready yet however there is absolutely no reason that Intuit Proseries Professional support has no clue regarding this and their direction is completely inconsistent on the answers and there is no excuse for it not carrying over into this years program.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Completely new form, it's not like they can just grab last years and edit it for the new year.

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

"INTUIT HAS DECIDED NOT TO CARRYOVER THE INFORMATION ON THE 8915-E CARRYOVER TO 2021 AND 2022."

So, you talked to Intuit, and they said they had decided not to carryover the information????

I find that a little hard to believe, and as others have noted, the form isn't final until at least 3/17.  I have adequate concerns with Intuit every year....every year.  But I don't fault them for not being psychic. I suspect that no other software company has the new 8915-F available for filing.....because it's not even a final form at the IRS level.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is the first we've heard of this decision. That doesn't jive with the information Intuit has revealed in the Forms listings. Nor does it match how the other Form 8915s (-B, -C and -D, and -E last year) were handled. Who did you talk to that told you this? Can you post the link to where this is posted?

I've posted the links to the IRS draft forms page, where you can see the updated versions that are not released, and to the production forms page, where you can monitor what is released and which versions. I've also posted the links for the Intuit programs ProSeries, ProConnect and Lacerte forms, which all state this will be finalized March 17. Not being an efile form doesn't mean you handle it manually. It means the IRS expects the software providers to either supply it in an alternate data version (behind the scenes with the filing) or as a pdf form ("auto-generate"), neither of which is new.

And the programs are not yet updated for this.

If you know differently, let's confirm that as fact, not rumor. Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
abctax55
Level 15

From @Olympus Tax post on a different thread/same subject:

It is a great question and I just got off the phone with via chat with Victory in Tier 11 support and was informed that Intuit Pro Series Professional the software will not carryover the information. 

And we all know that support "never" provides erroneous info /S  (sorry, too busy to look for the sarcasm font :-).

@IntuitBettyJo @IntuitGabi   - wanna' chime in here?  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
its got no place to carry it to yet!

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Olympus Tax wrote:

AND INSERT IT ON THE SCHEDULE 1 OTHER INCOME.

No, you don't enter it as "other income".

Olympus Tax
Level 3

Intuit ProSeries has what is called a carryover worksheet that has absolutely nothing to do with when the IRS will have a new form available. That's what we pay the big bucks for!! There is no excuse for ProSeries not including a line in the "Carry Over Work Sheet" and flag pending new form coming as opposed to it just disappearing from las year to this year.

Olympus Tax
Level 3

Waiting for the form to file the tax return is a completely different topic than the failure of ProSeries to carryover the information at all. Let's see transfer it into a form that is flagged on the top "Form Not Final" like carryovers are handled in every other part of our software.

Get on the ball Intuit and get this going.

Dusty2
Level 7

@Olympus Tax  You have to understand - in their infinite wisdom they fired all the programmers, then they brought tax preparers who understand tax law.  Now they do the programming.  They either are terrible slow at it or they don't have enough.  With INTUIT my guess is they pay them substantially less than the corresponding programmers and they are giving them little training and there are way fewer of them.  They don't even do version control.  That is why the same error gets fixed, gets broken the same way again, gets fixed again (weeks later), get broken again the same way, etc.  They are not even smart enough to understand version control how can they be smart enough to get forms done on time?

Customer support is, in my opinion, in the bottom 10% of ALL us companies.

Dusty

Olympus Tax
Level 3

Lisa,

Completely unacceptable. get the draft copy in the program and mark it "draft form not final" as you do with all other delayed forms and transfer in the appropriate data. 

PROSERIES FAILS AT CUSTOMER SERVICE YEAR AFTER YEAR AND IT CONTINUES TO GET WORSE, GET IT TOGETHER AND GET THE JOB DONE.

hankinstax
Level 5

You my friend are on target but possibly over generous at 10%.  This is the worst program year for ProSeries and they have had many, many bad ones.

t22g
Level 1

Is there a way in 2020 to print a report showing which clients had the 8915E form so we know which clients to wait on. I know we had 30-40 of them and the clients never remember anything when you ask. 

Thanks

dkh
Level 15

@Dusty2  Where did you get the info that Intuit fired all programmers  and hired tax preparers to replace them ?????

Dusty2
Level 7

From a former employee on a Tax Facebook Page.

Dusty

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

So, I'm just wondering if all of this has helped you figure out where to put your info?  I understand your capital letters frustration, but has this long thread done anything at all to appease you?  Believe me, we all have issues at some point in time with Intuit, sometimes with items that seem so easy to fix, (see barcodes on mailing addresses on slip sheets), but you are basically screaming at other preparers just like you, who for whatever reason, enjoy giving up their time to try to help, or get help from fellow users.

I'm pretty sure the powers that be know there is an issue with the 8915-F (witness the 4,237 other complaining posts), and I also suspect, they are not deliberately withholding solutions to see how mad the source of their revenue can get.

But, maybe yelling your displeasure, has in some way, made you feel better...it just didn't help, and can't help reach a solution until Mid-March I suspect.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
abctax55
Level 15

@dd4vols 

👏 👏

(someone needs to teach me how to supersize the emojis)

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

@dd4vols 

👏 👏

(someone needs to teach me how to supersize the emojis)

I wish I knew how to do that.  🤣

TaxGuyBill_0-1643417799842.png

TaxGuyBill_1-1643417812254.png

TaxGuyBill_0-1643417905999.png

TaxGuyBill_1-1643417906033.png

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Highlight the little emoji, right click - Copy, then Paste it back into the window and its big.

Doesn't work on my Win 11 system 😞

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

Hmmm.  That is weird.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill wrote:

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

Hmmm.  That is weird.

I thought it was operator error at first, but Ive tried it over and over, works at the office on Win 10, home on Win 11, no go.  🤷

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

abctax55_0-1643419106929.png

I haven't switched to Win11 yet.

Thanks guys....made my Friday afternoon ..

( Generic Comment )"
rcooley25
Level 11

I have been as guilty of being frustrated and angry over this situation as anybody else has and there have been times that I have been reponded to in the same manner as you are reponding. TO those tax preparers out there who think I have been yelling at them I would like to say I am sorry. I was not yelling at you but I was yelling about the situation. I would sujest that on the day this matter regarding 8915F is settled we get together and have a party. I will bring the champayne.

Olympus Tax is 100% correct.  This has NOTHING to with either IRS or ProSeries not having the form finialized.  Nor does it have anything to do with 3/17 or some later date.

If I transfer the client from 2020 to 2021 and an amount does not come forward, what will happen when the program does get updated?  How will the amount magically appear in a return that has already been transferred and worked on?  If it will, great.  But if it won't, is the answer to not do the transfer, and not do any work on these clients, until such point that the form is finalized so something will transfer?

I have been doing this long enough to know I NEVER mess with carryover amounts as there are so many things going on in the background so to me, working on a client and just "dropping" in a carryover amount later is not an option.  Might work for you, not me.

It would be nice if there was some info on how specifically this will work.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"How will the amount magically appear in a return that has already been transferred and worked on?"

Which is why, when Forms are not released or finalized, it probably is best not to transfer these clients. And there are lots of topics where these comments are being made and tracked, and it especially applies if your State(s) fall under the same issue.

And that's why this forum is useful. Not for sharing complaints. For sharing info.

Jamierac
Level 4

I agree with your assessment on this.  Having my hand in other software programs this is the only one that has not included the 8915F into its forms, even in its draft form.  Contrary to what others are saying on here its a big mess with ProsSeries not addressing this.  And this is not the only form that is not mentioned.  NYC 1127 once again not present in the software. Education credits not flowing from the federal return to the New York IT272.  Had support yesterday who had no clue what I was referring to.  All we are asking is to be up front when all of these forms will be included.  

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

so, please share with us, the software programs that do have the 8915-F draft already included? would be great info.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I saw someone post that CrossLink has it in draft.

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

We cannot sort for the clients who had the three-year spread with the 8915 E last year. It would be nice if they upgraded the 2020 program to include that.

Jamierac
Level 4

Drake has had the form in it since the program was released for the 2021 taxes and it calculates everything correctly.  You cannot print or efile but can complete the return and at least transfer the client over.  Its not as if this form is not going to be approved. 

ATX .

Blockworks

qbteachmt
Level 15

"All we are asking is to be up front when all of these forms will be included."

Sorry, but that clearly is not the case, or you would have read on this forum and in your program's Form Release listing, and mentioned a bajillion times already, that Intuit has projected for March 17 for the Form 8915-F. If that is really all that is asked, people would stop harping on it right now.

Complaining to peer users that all you are asking is information already made available, really makes not much sense. I am not defending Intuit; I am pointing out and providing resources and links for that very information you keep stating is all you are asking for. Start using those resources to watch for any change in the scheduling.

Jamierac
Level 4

Form 8915F is not listed. 8915 BC and D are. Possibly it might be included with that release but they do not say this. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I tell you what I am considering doing. I am considering discontinuing talking on customer support. I am sick and tired of my post being misunderstood because people are thinking that I am complaining about them when I am complaining about the IRS. After all this is what it comes down to, The IRs not having the forms ready. Many of my post have been passing on information that I have learned that I thought would be helpful to others.  I have not expressed anything that has not been expressed by other preparers on customer support. While I have had my share of Kudos for what I have done I have received messages like this one and I am thru with it. You can shout hooray now because this is the last you will hear from me. I am thru with all  of you.

Jamierac
Level 4

I agree with you. There are some on here who feel there is a need to berate those were just trying to help. Under the guise of we’ve heard this already. As far as I’m concerned I agree with you and some of them are just completely full of themselves. Keep the faith rcooley

rcooley25
Level 11

Thank you. I needed to hear that.

IntuitGabi

For the latest on 8915 please take a look at this article: Generating Form 8915 in ProSeries
The article will be updated if we have new information. 

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@IntuitGabi     Do you think we could get a query for the 2020 ProSeries, to specifically find returns that had the 8915-E? My memory is not as good as it was yesterday, much less last year!  That, I promise would cure a lot of the ills caused by the 3/17/22 projected date. If I say "PLEASE", would that help?

rcooley25
Level 11

I personally feel that the information is going to carry over from the previous year. But if I am wrong and it does not I am prepared to look at the  8915e from the 2020 tax return and punch in what ever informtion is needed onto the form 8915F for this year. I know that this can be done by looking at the rough draft of form 8915F as it appears on line. If that does not work then we are all screwed regarding 8915F and I have other ideas of what I will do.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rcooley25 wrote:

I personally feel that the information is going to carry over from the previous year.

Did you read the updated article that Gabi just posted?  It specifically says the information will not be carried over.

0 Cheers
Jamierac
Level 4

Just spoke to support.  Even though they are saying this they really do not know.  I mentioned how other programs are carrying it over.  They then came back and said any returns transferred before the form is ready will have to manually loaded onto the 8915F.  Honestly we have to wait and see. The tech support I spoke to said this is a very hot topic on their end.  She said it is fluid at the moment.  I dont think they really know for sure

rcooley25
Level 11

Entering the info manualy. Like I said in an earlier post I can handel that Lets hope that by 3/17/22 the form is ready if not before.

rcooley25
Level 11

Yes I did read that post. It was sent out after I sent my post out. Entering it manualy is what we will have to do.

0 Cheers
clehsok
Level 1

Does anyone have a suggestion on how we can easily identify those 2020 clients with an 8915.  I know there is no query option. Our firm has 1800 clients and trying to remember who specifically filed that form in 2020 is impossible.

Jamierac
Level 4

Unless Proseries puts in a client analyzer as they did for unemployment last year it will be difficult.  I am going into the 2020 program whenever a client makes or tries to make an appt and then will tell them I will get back to you when the form is released, which may be March 17.  Then create a separate list with these names.  Only way I can figure this at this time.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Its simple.

Even though you have the tax return stored in your system what I do is ask the taxpayers to bring their own copy from the previous year and that saved you alot of work looking back a year.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Don't you look at, review or compare the prior year's return anyways?  That really should be part of your process of preparing a tax return.

rcooley25
Level 11

I agree with you.  But that is not the person whos post I was refering to seem to realise.

0 Cheers