Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a client complete a 2020 tax organizer to be imported to 1040?

david3
Level 7

I noticed in the organizer instructions that we can import a completed 2020 tax organizer into a client's 2020 tax return.

I reviewed the pdf for an organizer we are sending to a client and there is no option for the client to complete the organizer - no fillable option available.

How does this option work in PS?

Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

If I understand your question.. typically you'd mail the organizer, clients would fill it out via pencil/pen, mail it back and then you'd enter the data by hand.   I'm told 20 years ago we tried to move that process online, but it was too early for its time.. hopefully we can get deeper/better integration with Link and automate all that for next year.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

@Orlando    can you answer this question?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Where are the instructions that you are referring to?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

I did a search for "tax organizer" in the Community section.

I clicked on the option "Using Organizers in ProSeries Professional" which was update on Nov. 10, 2020.

There is a link "After entering data in the Organizer how do I create a 1040 with the new information?" 

Thanks.

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

If I understand your question.. typically you'd mail the organizer, clients would fill it out via pencil/pen, mail it back and then you'd enter the data by hand.   I'm told 20 years ago we tried to move that process online, but it was too early for its time.. hopefully we can get deeper/better integration with Link and automate all that for next year.

dkh
Level 15

@david3 wrote:

There is a link "After entering data in the Organizer how do I create a 1040 with the new information?" 

Does it actually mention importing the data or did you just think that's what would happen?

david3
Level 7

I can only go by the instructions as stated.

The instructions indicate that after entering data - only the client would be entering data in their tax organizer.

The instructions have a link that says how do I create a 1040 with the new information - this appears to say that once a client enters data in their organizer that we are then able to create a 1040 with that information.

I guess the instructions are not clear and leads one to believe that there is a fillable organizer for clients to complete and that there is a way for us to import that data into the client's 1040.

Thanks for your help. 

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

Yes, that's the process we've been using for years.

However, the instructions in the 2020 instructions appear to say that their is a way for the client to enter data in their organizer and that their is a way for us to import that data in the client's 1040.

As I mentioned in my prior post, I guess the instructions aren't clear and therefore, these are not options available for the tax organizers.

Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers