Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I transfer the gain on an involuntary conversion from one farm tractor to another?

Kenneth Keate
Level 1
Farm client's tractor and some other things, all used in business, were destroyed in a fire.
They replaced the tractor.
They have a gain on the fully depreciated tractor.   
How do I transfer the gain into the badis of their new tractor?
0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15
Kenneth Keate
Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I know the law.  I was trying to figure out how to do it in proseries.  

How do I take care of the Gain and transfer it into a new asset in ProSeries?   (It is an involuntary conversion).  

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Maybe @TaxGuyBill can provide the HOW TO. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As the article that George gave you pointed out, you can just omit the old property.  So enter the disposition date in the disposition section, and leave the sale price BLANK.  Or if you want it to show up on the tax return, enter a sales price to result in a $0 gain/loss.

Calculate the gain, and just add it to the Basis when you enter the Asset Entry Worksheet for the new property.

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Actually you subtract the deferred capital gain amount from basis of new asset.  Make sure you attach statement detailing transaction and amount deferred.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Thanks for the correction.   🙂

0 Cheers