Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I transfer client letters from last year into the current year?

gary1861
Level 4

At the Intuit Summit a couple of weeks ago, one of the people said that you could copy/transfer the client letters from last year into this year.  I also a post in Lacerte that it is done automatically, but nothing was mentioned about ProSeries.  Is this possible and how do you do it?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The standard client letter is in the Common folder of each tax years program and the file name is  fdiltr.rtf   you could copy that into your common folder in 2022 and it would replace the standard letter in 2022.   

Looks like Lacerte has a straight forward way to transfer, I havent stumbled upon an option like that in ProSeries

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

the file name is  fdiltr.rtf   

It would be nice if Intuit made things easier to find and called it something like "ClientLetter.rtf" instead. 😁

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

fd (federal) i (individual) ltr (letter)

so I can see where they came up with it, but yes, a longer more descriptive file name would be helpful!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

fd (federal) i (individual) ltr (letter)

so I can see where they came up with it, but yes, a longer more descriptive file name would be helpful!

WOW, you are way smarter than I am.  LOL.  I figured out the "ltr", but I thought the rest was just gibberish.  😂

dascpa
Level 11

As my individual letters are all custom, I edit (open up) the 2021 Standard Letter letter I've created, copy it and then in the 2022 program, edit the Standard Letter and paste it. Only caveat, every once in a while ProSeries changes the letter codings so test all scenarios (bal due, refund, efile, mail in, overpay applied, etc.).

gary1861
Level 4

Thank you for your reply.  If my letters were more complicated, then this would be an option.  I guess I just thought (based on the comment of the Intuit presenter) that there was an automatic way to do it, but I wasn't smart enough to figure it all out.

0 Cheers