Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I record an asset shared between multiple rental properties? Owner bought a piece of equipment for snow removal and uses it for all 9 properties.

chiodoinc
Level 4

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

When I have clients with lots of rentals like that, I usually have an extra Sch E worksheet that I call General Expenses that I put all the shared expenses on, equipment, travel, home office, etc.   

You could do it as a % on each, convert 1/9 into a % then use that on each asset entry sheet as the business use  on each property.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

When I have clients with lots of rentals like that, I usually have an extra Sch E worksheet that I call General Expenses that I put all the shared expenses on, equipment, travel, home office, etc.   

You could do it as a % on each, convert 1/9 into a % then use that on each asset entry sheet as the business use  on each property.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

I normally pick one of the rentals to report shared expenses. 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Does the taxpayer ever have unallowed passive losses?  If so, it should be split up between the properties, so the proper unallowed passive loss is assigned to the correct property.

With that being said, if the asset cost isn't too large, it might be easier to just put it on one of the properties.

chiodoinc
Level 4

Thank you.  The equipment was $25,000 and I thought about breaking it up amongst the 9 properties. Could it just be written off then if each property gets $2777.78 or does that still get depreciated?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Generally, as asset with that large of a cost would be depreciated (but Bonus depreciation likely would apply, unless you elect out).

chiodoinc
Level 4

Thank you very much.

0 Cheers