Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I generate Form 5227 in 1041 ProSeries software?

brian
Level 1

Does intuit offer a 1041 software that includes form 5227? If so what is it and how do I get it ?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

This is my favorite question because for years we begged for form 5227 and finally this year --------------------------- they still don't support it.

I think you can use Lacerte on a PPR basis if you want to go that route.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

This is my favorite question because for years we begged for form 5227 and finally this year --------------------------- they still don't support it.

I think you can use Lacerte on a PPR basis if you want to go that route.

Slava Ukraini!
Tara
Level 3
Haha! That was good! I was got my hopes up. "They have it this year!?!?" No. I wish they would but alas, no they do not. While someone is asking, I know there aren't many PIFs and I would assume even less PIF tax preparers but I would love to start a support group for our small tribe. Anyone else interested? If so, email me at tara@sbfinancialpartners.com. Happy Tax Season!
0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

I've used Lacerte just for one client with Form 5227. The Lacerte fee is reasonable. My issues are: I have to update the Lacerte software each year - the Lacerte techies are very helpful in doing that. The greater problem is that since I use Lacerte just once a year, so I have to re-learn their software each time. I always send off an extension so I have a whole day to work on this one return.

linduca1216
Level 7

It's now the end (whew!) of the 2020 tax prep season (for calendar year-end returns anyway) and I, too, am frustrated about the software needed for one return.   Frustrating on one level because you don't use it enough to become familiar with it.   ugh!

IRonMaN
Level 15

My goal is to live long enough to see ProSeries actually add the &($%$#@!!&**!!! form.  What do you think the odds are that I can actually live to 377 years old?

Slava Ukraini!
linduca1216
Level 7
Ha!
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Does anyone know if Lacerte is even capable of efiling this form?  Or, if Form 8868 (the extension for a 5227) can be electronically filed through Lacerte?  Thanks.

ANSWER (for anyone interested):  No.  Neither Lacerte (nor apparently the IRS) can efile the Form 5227 at the moment.  You may need to check my sources but.....

IRS Pub 4163 (maybe beginning on page 11) and 4164 (maybe page 51 but I'm out of my league on that one).  That's all I got.

0 Cheers
linduca1216
Level 7

Form 5227 can NOT be e-filed by any software program.   It must be mailed in.

0 Cheers
Level 3

Exact same problem here. Way too much time and effort spent having to download LaCerte and figure out how to use it because on simple Form 5227 is missing from ProSeries. Maybe Intuit can spend a little less time adding many forms to TurboTax each year so they can lure our clients away, and a little more time improving their Professional product. Even Drake, a much cheaper software, offers Form 5227. Maybe it's time to give them a try.