Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I enter the sale of farm land? It won't go on an asset entry sheet because it doesn't depreciate

gfpstaxes
Level 4

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
cpapuffer
Level 2

Yup ... you can enter it on the asset entry sheet ... just need to enter cost as 'cost or other basis' AND again as 'land included in cost'.  Then, drop down to dispositions and enter the 'land sales price' . Gain will show up on 4797.

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Schedule D

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
gfpstaxes
Level 4

What type of asset should it be?

0 Cheers
gfpstaxes
Level 4

ProSeries won't let me enter the same amount in 'cost or other basis' AND 'land included in cost'

Perhaps I should explain that the farm is on 16 acres of land, but they only sold 5 acres of it.

0 Cheers
cpapuffer
Level 2

In the case of not selling it all, enter only the 5 acres cost (basis) and the purchase date along with the sales price for those 5 acres. You can enter the remaining 11 acres as another asset entry since you know its purchase date and as basis for future sales.

gfpstaxes
Level 4

But what Asset Type?

If I put X "non-depreciable asset" then ProSeries won't accept a disposition date.

But if I put it as any other type, ProSeries tells me the land price cannot be the same as the entire basis.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

You DON}"T have to set it up in the Asset Entry worksheet.  Just put the sales and basis info on Schedule D!  I live in a rural area...this is the proper treatment for the sale of land...no matter if it's short-term or long term..

Keep a note in your file for the remaining basis of the land not sold, for future use.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
gfpstaxes
Level 4

The reason I didn't try that is because it was a business "asset" and the sale should be reflected on their schedule F.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sales of assets used in farming do not get reported on Sch F (except for raised livestock). I would go with Form 4797.

Ex-AllStar