Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter sale of a rental property that qualifies for the main home exclusion? Can't link disposition wks to home excl wks. Or should I use just one & not both?

Highlighted
Level 2

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Highlighted
Level 2
  1. Need to populate Home Sale Worksheet, BUT DO NOT POPULATE PART 1.  That will populate when you enter disposition info in EACH asset connected to the property
  2. Answer questions in Part II (all of them) and Part III (Section A only).  If Part II Section B does not apply, do not answer questions
  3. click Box H "Complete taxable disposition on the Schedule E worksheet
  4. Enter disposition date for EACH asset connected to the property being sold.  Enter sales price and expenses of sale.
  5. For each asset select "Double click to link sale of Home Sale Worksheet" and click on the property listed for sale
  6. Once all the assets connected to the property have been populated, go back to Home Sale Worksheet to confim the info has carried to Part I.
  7. Confirm how this transfer to your respective state worksheets depending on state conformity or not.

At this point you should be done.  Hopefully this helps.  Good luck.  I trialed and erred my way to this since this usuall doesn't happen to often

Highlighted
Level 2

Thank you!

0 Cheers