Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter refinance expenses for a rental property?

TaxDebbie
Level 2

My client refinanced a rental house.  How do i enter the $5214.00 refinance expenses?  The client has owned the property for 35 years and it is completely depreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Under asset worksheet you will amortize using IRC code 446 for Loan Fees.

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
rbynaker
Level 13
Not sure this passes my sniff test.  How are the loan proceeds spent?

It's not unheard of to still have a mortgage after 35 years but I would be sure you have documentation on what the loan proceeds were spent on.  It's fine if it's just a straight refinance (i.e. to get a better rate) but my chronic refinancers tend to do things like pay off car loans, credit cards, etc.

Rick
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Good point man.....i thought that after I answered but, I figured the preparer should know better.  
0 Cheers
TaxDebbie
Level 2
In this case I had asked about the use of the mortgage funds but I very much appreciate the heads up concern.  Please do not assume that we who ask questions are as experienced as those who are able to help us.  I thank you for all information and concern.
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
:smile: No worries @TaxDebbie
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Under asset worksheet you will amortize using IRC code 446 for Loan Fees.

TaxDebbie
Level 2
On the asset entry sheet use code "O", go to the bottom of the page and change the depreciation type from MACRS to Amort, use the life of the loan for the recovery period.
0 Cheers
BobrLC
Level 1

How about if the rental property is not completely depreciated out, only 4 years in service.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...How about if the rental property is not completely depreciated out, only 4 years in service."

Not sure why you lined thru this....  but for future searchers.  The time is service for the property is COMPLETELY unrelated to how refinance costs are handled. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobrLC
Level 1

Don't know how line through text happened but not now.  Thanks

0 Cheers