Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I clear Return Reject code R0000-922-01 for Name Control error on a 1065?

davetodd11
Level 5

I am filing a Form 1065 return for an LLC partnership.  This is the first year I am filing for this LLC, but I am copying the entity name info and EIN just as it appears on the 2019 1065.  I am receiving Reject Code R0000-922-01, indicating:

"Filer's EIN and Name Control in the Return Header must match data in the e-File database, unless 'Name Change' or 'Name or Address Change' checkbox is checked, if applicable." 

The eFile history further indicates "The name control can be modified in the Electronic Filing screen, Miscellaneous section.  The IRS will update their Name Control database when a return is submitted with the Name Change box checked."

I see nowhere on any of the forms where a Name Change box can be found.  How can I get past this error?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
you dont happen to have a copy of the EIN letter they received? That would have the 4 letter name control at the top of Page 2.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

Do you have more than one year of past returns?  Is it possible that whomever prepared 2019 has the name or EIN wrong on the return and you are duplicating their mistake?   I'd be hesitant to check a Name Change Box  if there isn't truly a name change.

I'm in agreement with Lisa, get the EIN letter to verify what IRS has on record.

davetodd11
Level 5

Great suggestion.  I do see on another entity's letter where the IRS indicates that on p.2.  I'll try to track down the letter or request another copy from IRS.  Thanks.

davetodd11
Level 5

Unfortunately this isn't the issue.  2019 was the first year it was a partnership.

0 Cheers