Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I use distributions from a 1099Q (no beneficiary specified) for 2 students. What forms do I use?

Maaxm
Level 1

I have 2 1099Q's without beneficiary.  One is large, one small.  Can I total distributions and apply equally t both students? How can I do that in Proseries

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You need to have beneficiary. This is from pub 970 "Designated beneficiary. The designated beneficiary is generally the student (or future student) for whom the QTPis intended to provide benefits. The designated beneficiary can be changed after participation in the QTP begins. If a state or local government or certain tax-exempt organizations purchase an interest in a QTP as part of a
scholarship program, the designated beneficiary is the person who receives the interest as a scholarship". Here is the link for pub 970: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf