Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I adjust the child tax credit? Credit is $500 when it should be $2000. Married filing joint couple with one child, age 14 with a social security card?

Level 2
AGI is $240k
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Level 8

You will need to figure out why you aren't getting the full amount before you go trying to adjust the credit.

Is there enough of a tax liability to take the full $2000?

Does the child have a valid SSN for work?

Is the information worksheet information entered correctly?  Are you using Code L (dependent child)?  Is the NOT qual for child tax credit check box "X"'d or empty?

We will need a little more info to help diagnose the problem.

Level 15

Do you have the child's birthdate entered correctly?