Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a LLC file a CA Corp return without a Corp Number

jackie4
Level 1
I'm a LLC that is filing as a Corp.  I don't have a CA Corp number
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gregse
Level 2

On the "California S Corporation Information Worksheet" in the top right corner where it asks for CA Corp No. you can enter LLC IS FILING AS A CORPORATION and it will work fine. I already e-filed mine and worked fine

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Have you checked the CA Secretary of State website to see if one was assigned to it when they registered with the SOS?

You can search by entity name here:

https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
hillsboro15269
Level 4

It's my understanding that if you're an LLC in CA you have a Corp number. If you don't have a Corp #, you're not an LLC in CA. 

When you file your LLC paperwork with FTB, they assign you a number.

If you didn't file your paperwork with FTB, you're not an LLC.

So, like Just-Lisa-Now says, check the California Registry. I think you can download a copy of your registration from there, though I don't do a lot of CA business, so I'm not positive.

0 Cheers
gregse
Level 2

I have the same issue. My client has the 12 digit "File Number" issued to the LLC upon formation. but not the 7 digit "Corporation" number that ProSeries wants. Discussion with CA Sec of State who told me a Corporation number would not be issued to an LLC that filed for 2553 electing to be taxed as an S-Corporation. Next call is to CA Franchise Tax Board I guess or ProSeries or enter applied for which will allow E-Filing??

0 Cheers
tax21
Level 1

I have the same issue and hoping that Proseries finds a way to resolve this. We're just going to paper file the CA-100 for the LLC but this is annoying!

0 Cheers
gregse
Level 2

On the "California S Corporation Information Worksheet" in the top right corner where it asks for CA Corp No. you can enter LLC IS FILING AS A CORPORATION and it will work fine. I already e-filed mine and worked fine

tax21
Level 1

That worked, thank you!

0 Cheers
margielocana
Level 1

Thank you!