Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOH - EIC

Foxy-Lady
Level 3

Client has full custody of the child.  Receives no child support. Pays all expenses.  Court ordered the "father" gets to take the exemption.  What is she allowed to file?  HOH - EIC?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Assuming she meets the qualifications, yes she could receive both EITC and HOH. 

is the proper code. 

8332 is technically the way to go.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Assuming taxpayer has residential custody and he/she qualifies for HOH. Taxpayer can take both HOH and EIC. Do your diligence tho. 

George4Tacks
Level 15
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

As the custodial parent, she gets HOH and EIC/DCB (if applicable) , if she signs the 8332 to let dad claim them, then dad gets the CTC for them.  (you'll use Code Q on her dependent worksheet)

If she doesn't sign the 8332 dad gets nothing, she can take all, but he can take her back to court for being in contempt of a court order.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Foxy-Lady
Level 3

Is she required to sign an 8332 even if there  was no marriage 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

He should attach the 8332 to his return, but if he doesnt and nobody else tries to claim the child, then it wont be an issue for him.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Foxy-Lady
Level 3

Very tired so that I understand completely. 

My client, custodial parent gets HOH and EIC.

I file Q on her dependent worksheet 

Have her provide a signed 8332 to the Father.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Assuming she meets the qualifications, yes she could receive both EITC and HOH. 

is the proper code. 

8332 is technically the way to go.

George4Tacks
Level 15

@Foxy-Lady wrote:

Is she required to sign an 8332 even if there  was no marriage 

I do not believe marriage has anything to do with the 8332.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns