Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I file an S Corp sole owner's compensation on a 1099 instead of a W-2?

joe7230
Level 1

I have an S Corp sole owner who filed no 941s and paid in no tax.  He took $50000

compensation from the business.  Can I file him on a 1099 Misc instead of a W-2.  

Pro Series won't let me e-file with a W-2 with zero tax paid in?  Return is due Monday.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Nope.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
"Pro Series won't let me e-file with a W-2 with zero tax paid in"

I dont recall seeing a place to enter the "tax" on a W2 that would prevent Efiling.   Youd mark it as 1 W2 with the 941 and 940 boxes checked then file the late payroll reports like IRonMaN stated below.

With the QBI thing now, not sure you can just throw it on a 1099 like that, can you?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Nope.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

He got a net check for $50,000.  You need to at least gross it up for Social Security and Medicare ————— and then file the late payroll tax returns.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You don't have a sole Owner. You have a Shareholder-employee. There is never a 1099-Misc from your own corporation to yourself, when you are the person doing the work for the business. You are the employee and get a W2, along with the K-1 that is related to your ownership position.

This person did not take $50k compensation. They simply took money, so it is time to turn that into compensation as taxable wages for 2018. Both the corporation, as the employer, and this person, owe taxes that are supposed to be part of the payroll reporting. Don't overlook FUTA and SUI.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Do a search...this topic has been beat to death in the forum.

The technically correct answer is NO, you can't.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers