Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone seen Letter 6419 yet?

Greta
Level 9

For MFJ couples, what does the letter say for Husband vs Wife - who gets the child and the money? Form 8812 asks that question.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I have, MFJ and both taxpayers got the same letter for 1/2 each of the total they received. Fairly straight forward. Where it will be a pain is if they DONT keep letter. I will then check with IRS if they have a portal and worst case, taxpayer will check their bank accounts. 

View solution in original post

28 Comments 28
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

IRS has a sample of it.  Each person should get their own letter, since payments went out per person, not per return.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/ltr6419-sample.pdf

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Haven't seen one

PATAX
Level 15

Greta I have not seen one yet either... But I also have not seen Sasquatch. But I know he's out there as Heidi smelled him.She Wasn't too happy.😉👍👍

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I have, MFJ and both taxpayers got the same letter for 1/2 each of the total they received. Fairly straight forward. Where it will be a pain is if they DONT keep letter. I will then check with IRS if they have a portal and worst case, taxpayer will check their bank accounts. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sasquatch is working down at Walmart.  With the staffing shortages out there, they are willing to take anything on two legs.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

You hit the nail on the head Iron Man... God forgive me, but I swear some of them may be aliens or zombies or both.. just joking😉.

rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

Sasquatch is working down at Walmart.  With the staffing shortages out there, they are willing to take anything on two legs.

Legs might be optional.  I saw his cousins Yellow, Acorn, Butternut and Spaghetti at the Walmart.  No surprise that Sas is there too.

TaxBandit
Level 3

I've seen a few of these letters.  All of them match except one couple...2 different amounts.  Going with what the IRS sent in the letters.  After all we all know our taxpayers don't always know how much they received...just look at the disaster of EIP1/EIP2.

Greta
Level 9

How does the letter split the children and the credit between husband and wife when MFJ? Form 8812 asks to split entries between husband and wife. Just curious.

TaxBandit
Level 3

The letter informs the taxpayer of the amounts sent to each of them.  If one of the parents opted out of the advance and the other did not the amounts will be different.  You need each of the parents letters to complete the return.

Greta
Level 9

I guess I don't need to be too curious. But if a married couple has one child, who gets the letter and who gets the zeroes?

PATAX
Level 15

For those clients going through a divorce or separation, it is going to be real nice.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But it sounds like some of those letters could be wrong.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Maybe it would be better for the IRS to figure out the tax ramifications of this themselves,  just like they did for the unemployment income exclusion..

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Greta wrote:

Form 8812 asks to split entries between husband and wife. Just curious.

No, I don't think 8812 asks that. ProSeries does, as a matter of convenience.

Unless one spouse opted-out of the payment, both spouses should be receiving letter for their half of the Advance payment.

dkh
Level 15

Client received 6419 letters  husband's showed $1500 for 2 dependents  wife's showed $1500 for 2 dependents    The total amount of $3000 is correct but client was thrown off by the 2 dependents on each of the letters since the total dependents is 2 not 4 

willesp
Level 1

i have not seen that letter yet..

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

This is very helpful. It means that we must enter Form 8812 to match precisely Letter 6419. Especially if there is an odd number of children.

Greta
Level 9

I just saw my first 6419 letters, MFJ, 1 child. The $1500 was split evenly between spouses, $750 each. Each letter had 1 child. But our software no longer requires an entry for number of children -- just the money! So: "Follow the money."

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks for the information Greta

cajunlady
Level 2

i have one couple who received 2 letters stating they each received 1300   but they are claiming they only received 1300  not 2600?     anyone have a simular experience?

I will get them to review their bank statements to verify this is the case

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@cajunlady   based on their dependents what should they have received?    Also, IRS did send out some incorrect letters.  

dkh
Level 15
cajunlady
Level 2

update.   after they reviewed their bank accounts.  IRS was correct.   

cajunlady
Level 2

they have 2 dependants.   so it sounds right that 1300 was received by each...

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Imagine that... client gets FREE money yet forgets all about it.  🤣

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dkh
Level 15

lol.... isn't it amazing !!!    I've had clients adamant they did not receive EIP#3. or the ACTC.   I won't complete the return until they check their bank accounts and golly gee they did receive it.

PATAX
Level 15

@cajunlady "Burn me once shame on you, Burn me twice shame on me"