Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had any luck with the ProSeries W-4 Worksheet?

I just ran a Form W-4 using the ProSeries W-4 worksheet, and it's very, very wrong. It told me to enter a number in the thousands for "itemized deductions," but I told it the taxpayers are claiming standard deduction. Just to check, I ran the exact same numbers in the irs.gov calculator, and as I expected, got very different numbers.

Has anyone else used the ProSeries W-4 worksheet? Is it just bad, or did I enter something wrong? Do y'all think I should report this to ProSeries or wait until after this pandemic, and see if the zombies take over and it doesn't matter any more?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Level 11

I wouldn't hold my breath.  ProSeries is still working on the 2018 tax forms, who knows when they might get to 2020 forms!

Level 15

The zombies took over programming long ago. ☹️

This week's special - get a free set of ACME snow tires with every return prepared. ($300 extra if you want air in the tires)
0 Cheers
Level 3

I gave up on the withholding worksheets a long time ago.  If a client has a balance due of $1200, I tell them to leave the W-4 exemptions as is and ask for an additional $ amount per pay period be withheld.  So in the case of the $1200 balance, and the tax payer is paid bi-weekly I divide the $1200 by the remaining pay periods and tell them to ask for that amount extra to be withheld or if they are being paid monthly then $150 extra withheld  for remaining 8 months.