Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone experienced clients receiving random 2021 refunds from the IRS?

Busy123
Level 3

Has anyone experienced clients receiving random 2021 refunds from the IRS? 

I have two occurrences this week of clients that were electronically filed with taxes due.  Both paid their taxes dew by check, and both received refund checks without explanation.

6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

I had client receive an unexpected refund check. Although I'm pretty sure once client receives IRS explanation it will be estimated tax payments sent in but not reported on return. 

What was your client's RRC situation ?   

taxxman02
Level 3

A client just called me yesterday he is self employed, owed $741 for 2021 which was paid auto debit, and he just received a check for $759, have no idea why. I guess in a couple of months we'll find out.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

$741 + $759 = $1,500.  If it was $1,400, I'd look into the RRC thing.

For $1,500, I'd bet on an unclaimed estimated tax payment of $1,500.

Arithmetically, however, it should be expressed as $759 - ( - $741) = $1,500 but you know what I meant.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks for the information. A colleague recently called me and one of his clients received  check unexpectedly and apparently unwarranted. He advised the client to return the check immediately to the i r s. So you may be onto something and there may be some kind of issue going on. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Recently, Ive had several get refunds for estimated payments that didnt get picked up on the return (one lady made all hers twice, I dunno how).  But explanation letters arrived before the actual money did.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Return the check immediately to IRS? Don't wait a week or two for an explanation to show up in the mail? Probably just adding to the IRS backlog.  How is the government harmed if the check remains uncashed?