Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone been able to E-file a Louisiana Partnership extension?

rjh1963
Level 2

I have a Louisiana LLC that needs to E-file a state extension for Louisiana (not a composite return) but I keep getting an error that "today's date needs to be entered".   I have tried entering dates everywhere possible but the error keeps preventing the extension from filing.  Personally, I think the software thinks the Federal Form 7004 is sufficient since it was filed, but Louisiana no longer accepts the Federal extension to also extend Louisiana.  Proseries technical support says that my file sounds corrupted that I need to start the return all over.   I'm not sure I agree, because it is more than 1 client.

Has anyone had success E-filing this extension?

Thanks.

R

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im not familiar with LA, when's the due date for the return?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rjh1963
Level 2

It's due May 15th...16th this year.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Were you able to file extensions last year?  Is there a place on the State Information Worksheet to enter a date?

0 Cheers
rjh1963
Level 2

Last year, Louisiana partnerships were allowed to use the Federal extension.  This is not the case for 2021 return.  We are now required to E-file a Louisiana extension.

There is a spot for a date and I completed it.  The problem I think comes from the fact that the Louisiana Information Worksheet is recognizing the Federal extension was filed and is assuming that is still acceptable for 2021.....just my thought because the Louisiana Information Worksheet says an extension was filed with the extended due date of 11/15/22.  Again, the Federal extension is not acceptable this year.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Not a solution to the ProSeries issue but can you file the extension online at Louisiana's website?

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

ProSeries isn't always quick to modify the program for state changes (or even federal).   It might be worth your time to call support to verify it is possible.  Otherwise, safe bet is to mail the extensions.  

rjh1963
Level 2

I made multiple calls to support yesterday with no success.  The last person said my file must be corrupt.  I this it's a programming error.   As suggested by another person, I may have to go to the state website to file extensions, but that leaves room for error.   Besides, I'm paying for the software, so I should be able to file extensions as needed.

I was looking to see if anyone had actually been able to e-file the Louisiana Partnership extension or to confirm that they are having the same problem.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Sad that support thinks the answer is "destroy and reconstruct".    I wonder if support even understands that the efiling requirement for the state is NEW this year.   

0 Cheers
JH6
Employee
Employee

To help us troubleshoot this issue, can you please give us more information regarding which field on information worksheet gives you the error message related to incorrect date? You shouldn't need to enter any date to file LA extension. 

We cannot reproduce the issue. We are able to transmit LA Partnership Extension successfully. 

rjh1963
Level 2

I sent in a sanitized return for Case #1580463934 if that helps you.

In the past, Louisiana has allowed certain partnerships to use the Federal extension (Form 7004) as an extension for Louisiana.  For 2021, a Louisiana extension is needed and is needs to be E-filed.

My partnerships were already extended for Federal purposes, so I think the Louisiana software is recognizing that and creating some type of problem, but I'm not sure.

On the Federal Information Worksheet, I have the box checked for a Louisiana Extension to be E-filed (not a Louisiana Corporate (PTE only) return).  When I go to the Louisiana Information Worksheet, Part VI has the Electronic Filing of Extension box marked "X".  In Part VII, the Yes box is marked "X" even though I have not filed an extension yet for Louisiana and the Extended Due Date line is showing 11/15/22.  (This was auto populated after filing the Federal extension.)

I went to the LA Extension worksheet to mark "X" the Freeze box.   Went to Part VII on the Louisiana Information Worksheet to put today's date on the line Extension Filing Date.  Marked the First Extension Ready to E-file.   I then went to the E-file center and tried to E-file the extension.  An error was generated stating:  "Louisiana Partnership: Partnership Information Worksheet: Today's date must be entered for electronic filing.  First extension conversion failed."

I tried entering a date in Part VI, but same error.  I tried to have it not check for errors on conversion, but same error.   I tried overriding the Yes box in Part VII of the Info W/S and marking the No box "X" and putting today's date, or no date at all for the Extended Due Date line, but still same error.

I was told by support that my file was probably corrupted and I should delete the return and start over.  It is happening on more than 1 client, so I don't agree with this solution.   I did however try this on a client that was already on Federal extension and no real work has been performed on the return, but same results.   I decided not to delete the return that I had spent about 15 hours working on so far.

Hopefully you can find a resolution for this issue.  The extensions are due May 16th.

rjh1963
Level 2

I may have found a support advisor that helped find a way to file the extension.  Because I ended up with the same extension filing error for Louisiana trust extensions, I called in for the 3rd time.   This advisor had me enter dates on the Federal Information Worksheet as if I were filing the Federal return, plus the signature date of the return, then the signature date of the Louisiana return as if I were filing the return, not just filing an extension.   Hopefully this will work.  At least the extensions have been transmitted.   If they are accepted, I will have to go into ALL of these returns and remove these signature dates so the actual return filing dates can be used once the returns are ready to file.   Fingers crossed.

JH6
Employee
Employee

I got the sanitized return from support agent. I see you selected to e-file federal return, that's what triggers the error "Partnership Information Worksheet: Today's date must be entered for electronic filing" on federal information worksheet Part VI, Date PIN entered field. You mentioned you entered the signature date on LA information worksheet. However, there is no signature date there. I think you might have entered a date in Part VI, Electronic Filing section for "Date return was electronically filed". You don't need to enter that date for extension filing. 

The root cause is because you selected to e-file federal return, Fed information worksheet Part VI, Date PIN entered must be entered. 

Sorry for all the churns you ran into. If the extension files successfully, you will see a date populated on LA information worksheet, Part VII, Extension filing date field. 

Hope this is helpful. Do let me know if you run into further issues. 

JH6
Employee
Employee

If you run into similar issues in the future, please be sure to clear all the errors before e-filing. The errors appear because important information are missing or needs be corrected in order to e-file successfully. You can click on the error in red next to the form name listed in form menu to navigate to the field in error. You can also click on "Error" icon toward the top of the engine which will give you a list of errors and detailed description. 

I do recommend to run a final review before e-filing the return. final review icon is right next to Error icon. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Cheers
rjh1963
Level 2

Thank you for this information although it seems odd to me that I cannot have my Federal return scheduled for E-file upon completion in order to E-file a Louisiana extension.  And the error being generated kept stating the "Louisiana Partnership: Partnership Information Worksheet: Today's date must be entered for electronic filing."  The error did not mention the Federal Information W/S.  Just a bit confusing and unfortunately, none of the 3 support people I spoke to could tell me to turn off E-file for the Federal return.

I did have 1 of the support people have me put dates in various places of both the Federal and State programs which allowed me to E-file the Louisiana extensions on Friday and the were accepted.  So another work around but now I need to go back in and remove some of those entries.

Thanks again for your solution.  Certainly better than the support that told me my file was corrupt and I should delete it and start over!

0 Cheers
rjh1963
Level 2

I appreciate your comment about performing error checks on the return before filing.  I always do that.  It was not practical to clear all of the errors on an incomplete return just to file an extension unless they were part of the extension.

Thanks again for helping with these Louisiana extension issues.

0 Cheers