Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green Card - New Rules for 2021

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

I heard that there is a new tax rule that require us to list the country of origin for any of our clients who are green card holders. Anyone heard about this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

No.  What "rule" might you be referring to and where did you hear about this?

Certain disclosures about green card status are already required, for example, on 1040NR and F.8840.  Green card status is also a relevant consideration for various positions such as treaty tie breaker.  There is little to be gained, from the IRS' perspective, by having the taxpayer disclose his/her country of origin.  And unless it is codified, this may not even be legal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Client sent me a link to some TV news station piece mentioning new rules for green card holders. I also couldn't fund anything online to confirm it. Thanks for the reply.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @Ephesians3-14!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers