Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 2019 tax planner within the 2018 Proseries program is only calculating 4.2% in total self-employment tax for a particular client.

curt1
Level 4

This Sch C client will have $170k in net self employment, so shouldn't the 2019 tax rate be approaching 15%?  Other Sch C clients are working as expected.  I tried removing the 2019 planner from the return, then re-did but it still doesn't calculate proper SE taxes.  What gives? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13
I'll start with the easy one: Have you entered any W-2 wages for the self-employed person?  (Or maybe entered the spouses W-2 in the taxpayer box?)

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
curt1
Level 4
Now I got it.  Both the taxpayer and spouse have wages in 2018.  2019 planner reflects TP with wages of $112k plus Sch C income of $170k.  So, for SE tax, TP only needs to pay SS on $16k plus 2.9% on the $170k.  Thanks for thawing my brain freeze!!  🙂
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Great, thanks for posting back!  I've done a bunch of 2019 projections in the 2018 software and I'm sure I just accepted the SE tax calc for most of them.  So I'm happy to hear there isn't a bug!  You do have to be careful to enter the 401(k) stuff in the W-2 section so that it will calculate SS wages correctly for determining SE tax.
0 Cheers
curt1
Level 4
Thanks again!  Very relieved I don't have to tell my client his 2019 quarterlies were way too low.  whew!  Would be nice if Proseries showed the SE tax projection calc--even if only via cross reference.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I'll start with the easy one: Have you entered any W-2 wages for the self-employed person?  (Or maybe entered the spouses W-2 in the taxpayer box?)
0 Cheers