Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earned Income Credit and Child Credit when parents are divorced.

rewane
Level 1

Earned Income Credit and Child Credit when parents are divorced.  The parents (never married) have a court agreement to alternate years for dependent exemption, but child sleeps more than half of the nights at mother's house every year.  Am I correct that the child qualifies mom for HoH and the EIC every year, but the child credit alternates between the parents?  If so, what do I do in ProSeries to indicate she gets HOH and EIC this year but not the child credit?  I don't see how to indicate only two of the three tax benefits.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rewane
Level 1

Good news, I just tried the one combination I had not yet tried, and it worked.  I enter the child's information in the Dependent Section, indicating child lived more than 6 months with mother.  I made the Qualfied child/dep care code Q (not a dependent but is a qualifying person for earned income credit and/or the credit for child and dependent care expenses).  I entered name and social security number in Part II Federal Filing Status for Head of Household.  This question has been answered!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
rewane
Level 1

Good news, I just tried the one combination I had not yet tried, and it worked.  I enter the child's information in the Dependent Section, indicating child lived more than 6 months with mother.  I made the Qualfied child/dep care code Q (not a dependent but is a qualifying person for earned income credit and/or the credit for child and dependent care expenses).  I entered name and social security number in Part II Federal Filing Status for Head of Household.  This question has been answered!

0 Cheers