Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM 1099-Misc other income

lab
Level 1

I have a client with a 1099-Misc for other income box 3 that was for selling cars. I believe this should go on line 21 but want to confirm there is nothing weird I should know. She didn't actually work for the dealership the cars were sold at but the income was paid to her so she will be claiming it. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

It's very common in the auto industry.  They're usually referred to as SPIFFs if you want to google it.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3204.pdf

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
20 Comments 20
dkh
Level 15
Are you sure this shouldn't be on Sched C subject SE tax?
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
I found a post from someone that answered a tubo tax person and they said line 21. But I just had this little voice in the back of my mind saying I should check. I truly don't know.
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
1099MISC with box 3 for car salesman are prizes they won (their business is selling cars not winning prizes) that is why dealers put amount in box 3. should go on line 21 no se tax
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
@Terry53029 thank you for the confirmation!
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15
But lab says client doesn't work for dealership so why would she win a prize from them
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
Reread Lab's post "client works for a dealer selling cars", the 1099 came from another dealership. the clients dealer could be owned by the dealership that issued the 1099
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
sorry that is the confusing part. I think the ex spouse was diverting some of the income from him. I maybe should have just left that part off. She was a stay at home mom and is now divorced but she was who GM "paid" this money to so she has to claim it.
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15
I read  - client received 1099 for selling cars - client doesn't actually work for the dealership.
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
Was the ex a car salesman?
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
1099 came from GM the manufacturer. Her ex-husband is part of the dealership. It is a family business. They were married at the time.
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15
Did she actually receive this money ?
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
I don't know if he was a salesman or not. I did find pub 3204 that seems to support line 21.
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15
@lab   I agree with Line 21 now that I know she wasn't selling cars as a side business.  
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
She isn't disputing claiming it. I do't know if she actually received the money or not. I didn't ask her that part. She knew she would need to claim it so I didn't want to rock the boat farther. It was a messy divorce.
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
@dkh  Hmmm....do you mean self employed selling cars on the side? I'm just trying to clarify if at some point this would be SE income for future reference.
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
If your client was not in the business of selling cars it should go on line 21. Salesman in my area usually get a W2 and a 1099MISC with an amount in box 3 for prizes. At any rate if a car salesman gets only a 1099, and no W2 it should be put on schedule C, and pay se
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15
@lab  yeah, I wasn't sure what her actual job was other than she didn't work at dealership that gave her the 1099.  She could've been salesperson from another dealership that received commission. Thought there may be some side business selling cars online, from her front yard (lol), or whatever that may require the 1099 to be subject to SE tax.  
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. So you are saying the only time it would be SE is if they are self employed selling cars already. Right? How many more weeks to go?
0 Cheers
lab
Level 1
@dkh  and @Terry53029  I can't figure out how to mark you guys as helpful answers. If you know please tell me. Thanks!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

It's very common in the auto industry.  They're usually referred to as SPIFFs if you want to google it.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3204.pdf

Rick

0 Cheers