Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GAS STATION BUILDING NEW

mike9
Level 4

In pro Series What is the asset type for the building , 1250 property, which can be depreciated over 15 years ?

Also does the 15 year allow for Bonus depreciation?

Thanks for your help

Mike

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

I would suggest a cost segregation study as I imagine there are MANY components to a gas station, with many different depreciable lives to consider

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
abctax55
Level 15

I would suggest a cost segregation study as I imagine there are MANY components to a gas station, with many different depreciable lives to consider

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What are the assets and what depreciation category that you think they are in?

abctax55
Level 15

Bill.... you *really* need to upgrade your avatar 🤣

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

LOL.  I can't even tell  what that 'default' avatar is that they gave me.  

Okay, I just checked and it is a "flute" (under musical instruments).

0 Cheers
mike9
Level 4

Thank you Bill for your quick response. Can you advise what asset type a 15 year building would go tot on pro Series?

Thanks for reminding me about qualified property. Only cost seg will help .

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I guess I'm asking WHY do you think it is 15 year property?  A new commercial building is usually depreciated over 39 years.  Why do you think 15 years is appropriate?

mike9
Level 4

Gas Station Building 15 year property . Should b SL

0 Cheers
mike9
Level 4

Section 168(e)(3)(E)(iii) provides that any section 1250 property which is a retail motor fuels
outlet (whether or not foo   or other convenience items are sold at the outlet) is
classified as 15-year property.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Great.  If that isn't an option on the  Asset Enter Worksheet, then select "Other" and then scroll WAY down to the bottom to manually fill it the Recovery Period and other details.

Yes, because the Recovery Period is less than 20 years, it should qualify for Bonus depreciation (IF you want to do that).

mike9
Level 4

Unless I am wrong about this ..Qualified property for Bonus  as it relates to Building ( 1050) is only available for the interior and not HVAC, Roof , Exterior etc. Only way to quantify interior  is to do a cost seg.

?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I see no such restriction in §168(k) or Publication 946.   Can you find any support for the restriction?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/168#k

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf#page=23

0 Cheers
mike9
Level 4

I really cant...except an overreach ( ?) that under the definition of Qualified Improvements it proscribes

improvements to elevators, escalators, internal structural framework of a building, or enlargement of a building.

I think your position is correct and one can write off an entire cost of a building up to $1 million for a qualified Retail Motor Fuel Outlet.

0 Cheers