Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function keys on new Dell 5493

kleine7
Level 2

Purchased a new Dell 5493 with Windows 10  Loaded ProSeries .  None of the function keys F1 to F12 work to access the menu such as F6 should give you a list of forms.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Try this https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/FN-Key-disable-enable/td-p/3216657

OR "Press and hold the Fn key, and then press the Esc key to switch the primary behavior of the function keys (F1-F12) between two modes - multimedia key mode and function key mode."  or look at https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln305029/keyboard-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide?lan... for toggling between F1...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
rbynaker
Level 13

Don't know about that specific Dell model, sometimes you need to turn Function lock on or off.  Try Fn-Esc and then see if your keys work as expected.  Alternatively, try Fn-F6 to bring up the forms list.

Newer Dell models will integrate things like mute, volume up/down, screen brightness up/down, etc. into existing function keys for your "convenience."

Rick

itonewbie
Level 15

Agree with Rick. That's how it works on my Dell.

Hold the Fn key together with F6, etc., will work too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

I taught Basic Computing, so see if this helps:

"Hold the Fn key together with F6"

Your keyboard, bottom left, has a row of special keys, including CTRL (or Ctl), Fn, Windows icon (for the Windows menu), Alt, Spacebar, then another Alt and Ctl.

The same way you hold down the Shift key, to get a capital Letter, the Function, Alt and Ctl keys are the same, as an optional trigger, and then you use another key with them in sequence. I had many students that would try to Poke both the control key and the operational key at the same time, but no human can make that happen. Example: Ctl+1 is typically Help in Windows-compliant programs, so you hold down Ctl and keep holding it while you poke the 1, then let go of Ctl.

Look at your Dell keyboard to see the text on the keys is typically in two colors (likely not only in the Function key row), when there are two functions or operations. For instance, a number pad with NUM LOCK OFF, has the "other" functions, of mouse control, page up/down, Home, etc. So,my Dells have different functions. You might need to hold down the Fn key and then the F functions work, or the alternate functions work. One of mine is blue text for the Scrl Lock, the touchpad lockout, the WiFi lockout, and the Fn key also has blue "Fn" on it.

Lastly, my newer Dell (Alienware) has a block of Function keys to the left and also across the top of the Number pad. These are called Macro keys, not Function keys. They are numbered 1-9. They are not the same as Function keys. Function keys are hardcoded to their functions. Macro keys are ours to program. I have a set I coded for volume up/down/mute, because they are easier to hit, when the phone rings and I need to take that call.

Hope that helps.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
George4Tacks
Level 15

Try this https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/FN-Key-disable-enable/td-p/3216657

OR "Press and hold the Fn key, and then press the Esc key to switch the primary behavior of the function keys (F1-F12) between two modes - multimedia key mode and function key mode."  or look at https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln305029/keyboard-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide?lan... for toggling between F1...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
kleine7
Level 2

Thanks to the Community this did resolve my issues with my new Dell PC.