Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREAKING OUT

lefty
Level 4

I just e-filed a client's 2022 return. She told me to use the same bank account as the year before, not realizing the prior year return had her refunds going to H&R Block's bank account.  I'm not affiliated with H&R block in any way. (the proir year she told them to take their fee out of her refund, and so her prior year 1040 shows H&R Block's bank details for direct deposit of her refund).  

I thought, I will just efile an amended return, changing the bank account info for direct deposit.  Turns out the E-file form for 1040-X isn't available until 3 weeks from now, at which point H&R Block will already have her refund direct deposited (she's no longer their customer).

I dont know what to do and I'm freaking out.  

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Eventually they should receive a paper check, but it is going to be awhile before they actually see the check.

Slava Ukraini!
lefty
Level 4

But how is that possible?  Assuming that H&R Block bank account is still open and active, I guess we could call H&R Block and explain the situation and ask them to cut her a check (I dont expect that to be easy).

The only reason IRS would mail her a check is if they try to deposit to that H&R bank account and its inactive so it bounces back and the IRS then cuts a check.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I had the exact same thing happen 3 or 4 years ago.  The refund bounced around a little but eventually they received a check.  You live and learn --------------- never trust what a client tells you without some physical evidence 😀

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 13

My cover letter always asked for confirmation of the bank account. 

EVERY YEAR.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

So she gave you copy of 21 H&R return with the bank info prefilled? Yup, live & learn… my client organizer asks DD,DW same acct?… if not complete i confirm one way or another….

Check where’s my refund. Call H&R when you see the date. Since they did not prepare the return their Bank product should reject the deposit and IRS will issue paper check…. Hopefully the mailing address is correct and the USPS comes through.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There is a telephone number on the 8879 that you can call to cancel direct withdrawals.  I would try that number to try to cancel the direct deposit.

I suspect they may not allow you to give them a new number, but cancelling the direct deposit MIGHT speed things up because they will send a paper check right away rather than trying to direct deposit things.

taxes96786
Level 9

I do too. My clients get a Client Info Worksheet every year.

0 Cheers