Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

form for Social Security benefits does not use the repaid bebefits properly

shirleym
Level 2

Repaid SS benefits are negative  but are not showing up on the 1040 front page, not calculating correctly, why?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You'll have to research it and see if calculating it that way it will benefit your client or not..it's not "on ProSeries Basic".

Use Google    "Section 1341 Repayment - Claim of Right/Social Security Repayment"

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Repaid SS benefits will only reduce current paid SS benefits (just like unemployment benefits), otherwise you need to look into Section 1341 Repayments-Claim of Right.  

0 Cheers
shirleym
Level 2

He had no current benefits this year only the repayment. He was taxed last year on SS benefits and received them due to illness. Now only repaid benefits on the SS form.

0 Cheers
shirleym
Level 2

What is section 1341 repayments claim of rights on Pro Series Basic?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You'll have to research it and see if calculating it that way it will benefit your client or not..it's not "on ProSeries Basic".

Use Google    "Section 1341 Repayment - Claim of Right/Social Security Repayment"

0 Cheers
shirleym
Level 2

He did get taxed on most of it last year beacuse of the other income he had. I would think he could reduce his other income due to the repayment of benefits. Am I wrong?

0 Cheers
shirleym
Level 2

Thank you for the help. I understand now.