Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 990 T extension

PATAX
Level 15

It appears that the extension for form 990 T must now be e-filed... Apparently Pro Series does not let you e-file the extension for form 990 t.. any information from fellow tax preparers would be appreciated. Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

@TimL I did not wait to see if the 990-t extension efiling issue would be resolved..... I just went ahead and finished the actual 990T and 990 returns and I efiled them... No problem with the e-filing of the actual returns.. hope this helped... And as you know it is just my opinion...

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

I currently don't need to file any 990Ts for any of our nonprofits, so I haven't run across that issue yet.  Can you e-file the 990T extension and then paper file the 990 extension for the entity?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks for the response Iron Man ... actually it lets me prepare the 990 extension for e-filing , but it will not let me prepare the 990-t extension for e-filing... I believe the IRS has recently stated that the 990-t return has to be efiled and as you know in the past with Pro Series people mailed in the 990-t return and efiled the 990 return... Since the 990-t return has to be efiled then I would imagine the 990-t extension has to be e-filed but I am not sure... I don't know... sounds like a mess

IRonMaN
Level 15

Who knows, maybe something will be put in place prior to May 17th --------- or maybe not 😞

Slava Ukraini!
TimL
Level 2

Hello,

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I have to file a 990 & 990-T for my client. I was able to efile the extension for the 990. But it's not letting me efile the 990-T extension. Do we have to create another client # to input the 990-T? I wish ProSeries would address this 990/990-T issue.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

@TimL I did not wait to see if the 990-t extension efiling issue would be resolved..... I just went ahead and finished the actual 990T and 990 returns and I efiled them... No problem with the e-filing of the actual returns.. hope this helped... And as you know it is just my opinion...

TimL
Level 2

Thanks PATAX.

I can't get the 990-T done by the due date so I mailed the extension. The extension instructions stated

If you do not file electronically, send the application to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Ogden, UT 84201-0045

Since I'm not filing the extension electronically, I mailed...which seems like it should be ok.

PATAX
Level 15

@TimL if I was you I would print out the error message that says you cannot efile the 990-t extension ..... That way if the IRS questions why you did not efile 990t extension you will have proof that you tried and that the software would not let you e-file the 990t extension... Just my opinion

TimL
Level 2

Good idea. Thanks and have a great evening!

hockeyguy
Level 2

It looks like intuit blocked my last response

IRonMaN
Level 15

They don't have anybody playing goalie so Intuit doesn't tend to block posts.

Slava Ukraini!
hockeyguy
Level 2

Ha Nice!