Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8880 calculating when it should not. Should Proseries carryforward the info for Line 4? It's blank when it should not be.

maxie
Level 3

Taxpayers took a distribution in 2017 of $40k. Taxpayers contributed $3k in 2018. Nothing was carried forward by Proseries to line 4 of form 8880. I thought it would automatically do this. Am I wrong?  The 2017 distribution should disqualify the taxpayers from receiving retirement savings credit unless I'm missing something. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

I think TaxGuyBill had a similar problem with a return earlier this year.  It doesn't seem to be a consistent problem. happens some times but not others.  You may have to manually enter the prior year distribution to get the form to work correctly.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
rbynaker
Level 13

I think TaxGuyBill had a similar problem with a return earlier this year.  It doesn't seem to be a consistent problem. happens some times but not others.  You may have to manually enter the prior year distribution to get the form to work correctly.

Rick

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
@TaxGuyBill
Did you get your 8880 carryover problem figured out?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
wasn't it one of those things that they said they would report to development to be corrected in a future update?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I just manually entered it for that client.  I haven't come across another client in a similar situation yet to see what it does.  I *THINK* a Moderator said she set up a test file and it transferred okay for her, but obviously this post indicates it is happening to other returns too.
0 Cheers
maxie
Level 3
Obviously it is a problem. Maybe they fixed it and it "un" fixed in one of the recent updates.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Yeah.  I dread having to update.  I usually wait at least 24 hours and check here to see what folks are screaming about that got broken on a recent update.
0 Cheers