Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8829 vs. asset entry worksheet

lindadod0626
Level 3

Taxpayer and Spouse each have a new home office.  Each is used 100 percent for business.  When I fill out the asset worksheet, it allows me to enter 100 percent.  However, when I go back to fill out all of the percentage information in each 8829 (so the page will populate the correct amount of indirect utilities, interest, etc.), the 8829 *worksheet* business use percentage changes to the square foot percentage of the home office.  What on earth am I doing wrong?  (If I reverse the order I fill out these pages, the square foot percentage is automatically populated.)

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If you are depreciating the entire house for the "asset", it needs to be prorated by the business percentage on 8829.

If you are entering an "improvement" that is ONLY for the Home Office, then you need to select it is a Home Office Improvement, and it will allow you to manually enter the business percentage.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If you are depreciating the entire house for the "asset", it needs to be prorated by the business percentage on 8829.

If you are entering an "improvement" that is ONLY for the Home Office, then you need to select it is a Home Office Improvement, and it will allow you to manually enter the business percentage.

0 Cheers
lindadod0626
Level 3
THANK YOU!  I thought I was losing my mind.
0 Cheers