Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORM 8824 LIKE KIND ESCHANGES

G_Astolfi_94
Level 1

ON THE FORM 8824 DATA ENTRY I AM GETTING A CASH RECEIVED ERROR. 

THE FMV OF THE PROPERTY RECEIVED IS LESS THAN THE FMV OF THE PROPERTY GIVEN UP WHICH CREATES A LOSS.  THE SOFTWARE IS LOOKING FOR CASH RECEIVED (WHICH WAS $0) AND SHOWING AN ERROR.  HOW CAN I OVERRIDE THIS 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

if the replacement property cost is less than what they sold the original property for, then they may have taxable boot, not a loss.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@G_Astolfi_94 wrote:

THE FMV OF THE PROPERTY RECEIVED IS LESS THAN THE FMV OF THE PROPERTY GIVEN UP WHICH CREATES A LOSS.  THE SOFTWARE IS LOOKING FOR CASH RECEIVED (WHICH WAS $0)

For example, you are saying they sold a property worth $300,000, and received another property worth $250,000 and $0 cash?

If so, the first property wasn't really worth $300,000.  It was worth $250,000 because that is what they were able to get from it.

njb
Level 1

I have the opposite problem.  Received property, including cash, is more than the property given up.  There was no cash given up.  So there is a gain.  

The worksheet keeps putting the gain amount on line M as "Cash Given".  And adds it to Line 18, Adj Basis of Like Kind Property Given Up.

What am I missing?  It is a related party exchange.  

0 Cheers