Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8615 (Kiddie Tax) added to return by program.

motax
Level 3

Updated program this morning, 02/28.  Started new client return, age 23, single, $33K W-2 income only.  Final review indicates it wants an entry on form 8615 (Kiddie Tax).  I didn't select this form, nor is it necessary.  "Remove this form" makes you think it is, but it really isn't.  Final review again shows one error and takes you back to f 8615.

Was wondering if disabling error check when e-filing would cause a rejection from the IRS because an included form lacked information even though there is no information to be included.

Any thoughts? (ProSeries Basic)

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Click the "no" box on the form to kill it.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
21 Comments 21
IRonMaN
Level 15

Click the "no" box on the form to kill it.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
motax
Level 3
Thank you.  Didn't even think to try the obvious.  Another "duh" moment among many others.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
pam
Level 1
I don't understand why we can't remove it instead of clicking "no" to remove the error.  In my situation, the taxpayer is MFJ with three W-2s.  I should be able to remove the form.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Lots of weird form and program issues this year..sometimes you just have to do what works, not what should work.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I don't understand why I never can quite touch a rainbow either, but if I spent all of my time trying to understand everything in life, I'll never have any time to sleep.  If a simple click of a box makes the problem go away without any repercussions, I'm good.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Chris268
Level 3
The technical support said it was scheduled to be fixed on Feb. 5, but today is March 30 and my 22 year old client with no unearned income at all is still getting the form.  I never tried to touch a rainbow, but I get very frustrated when something that worked just fine last year doesn't work this year in ProSeries.  I really can't understand why they can't just leave things alone.  If it's not broken, don't fix it!
0 Cheers
Chris268
Level 3
Furthermore, when I check the "no" box, it does not go away.  It should not be there at all, and yes, I have run all the updates.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If you check NO the error goes away and you can file the return....youre right it shouldn't be there...but we can only do what we can do.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Yeah, it's really odd, and thoroughly inconsistent how they did this.  For practically everything else, there's a checkbox buried somewhere in the Fed Info Wks, seems like it should be there instead.
0 Cheers
Chris268
Level 3
But in this case there is no unearned income at all!  There is no need for any check box.  The form should not ever be activated if there is no unearned income, and it never was in the past.
0 Cheers
Chris268
Level 3
Now it is also generating Form 8865 for a health insurance exemption.  She is covered by her parents and is filing as a dependent.  I can't seem to get rid of that form either.  It won't let me uncheck the box and she doesn't need an exemption.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
As long as we are listing unnecessary forms that are added to the tax return (including the 3903 from another thread), it incorrectly produces a 8829 when using the Simplified Method for a Home Office.

I forget who to flag, so I'll just flag Ashley:  Can they eliminate the program from producing all of these unnecessary forms?  @Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr)
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
You mean you don't charge by the ounce for tax prep?

As much fun as we're having this year, remember next year we also get a brand new form 1040SR for seniors.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I hope they change their mind about that.  They hacked up the old 1040 to get the 'simplified' postcard return so everybody uses the same 1040, and now they want to go back to adding more versions of 1040s.  I'm continually amazed at their stupidity.
0 Cheers
Chris268
Level 3
How, awful!  The good news is that Just Lisa Now was correct in that when I printed the return none of those forms are there.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Been seeing it a lot for clients age 19-23 that don't require it.....another program glitch.

0 Cheers
motax
Level 3
Thank you Lisa.  I read the posts here daily, but didn't recall seeing this particular problem.  It seems like there have been an unusual amount of glitches since the security enhancements the last 3(?) years.
0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

I checked the NO box, and then the Yes box glowed error-pink.

I put in name of parent, errors went away, but Form 8615 printed "Form Not Final".

Should I wait for an update?

0 Cheers
ritastone001
Level 5

2/5/21  This same problem is in the program this year. Just had it to pop in on a return. Clicked no and everything seems ok. ???

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
yep, I just click No.

0 Cheers