Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 5329 Waiver of Penalty

McGruff
Level 1

Does the Explanation Statement get transmitted with the 1040 or does need to be done as an attachment? 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Does it print out with the Filing Copy? If so, then its included in the EFile.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Does it print out with the Filing Copy? If so, then its included in the EFile.

0 Cheers
McGruff
Level 1

Thank you.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Do we really have any evidence that what print's with the filing copy has anything to do with what is transmitted.

You can select almost anything you wish to print with the filing copy, or deselect the forms as well.

I print the diagnostic's and a bunch of worksheets with the filing copy, as that is the way I set it up in the print options, and I sincerely doubt that all of that is formatted to transmit with the return.

The default's in the filing copy, are (more than likely) just some programmers guess of what most of us would print if we were mailing in a return, and based on Intuit's programming record this year, I would not be placing bets on that.

Now if you want to say "All of the IRS Forms that print with the filing copy" I might go with that, but I am pretty sure that the detail information for W-2's, 1099-R etc. also gets transmitted, and I have  not seen that printing with the filing copy.

TO BE CLEAR. I do not know what transmits with the returns, as I have not found a way to find or look at a transmit file from proseries that is formatted to the IRS parameters, but I don't think it relates very well to what is called the "filing copy" when we are determining which copy to print.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

The best information I have is that the only way to be sure an explanation statement is transmitted with the return is using the "Preparer Notes" input.

f6>pn will bring up the preparer notes page.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The 5329 waiver explanation is part of the 5329.

But, I agree with you on other types of misc statements, you just dont know if they're included.

0 Cheers
McGruff
Level 1

Some years ago, I called support to ask about another (I don't remember which) statement, and they didn't know. 

0 Cheers