Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 2441 For Disabled Child > 13

Highlighted
Level 5
last updated ‎March 28, 2020 12:42 PM

Researches past posts and cannot find.  Per instructions to 2441 you can claim the child and dependent care credit for a special needs child even if over age 13.  My client's child turned 14 and I cannot figure how to claim the credit on the ProSeries input.  It's not on 2441 or Info worksheet.  What am I missing?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
6 Replies 6
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

If I am not mistaken you show Code D under EIC and this will allow daycare expenses for child over 13. 

Highlighted
Level 5

Code D says Disabled Child Age 19 or older or disabled child older than taxpayer or spouse???  It doesn't address this issue.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 10

I thought the PS default was to allow it and give a warning about the age in review?

Is there some other limitation you're hitting?

Try changing the DOB to <13 to see what happens.

Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

@dascpa wrote:

Code D says Disabled Child Age 19 or older or disabled child older than taxpayer or spouse???  It doesn't address this issue.

Ah, sure of course. Sorry about that. I dont think I have had this issue before. As @rbynaker stated, what if you put daycare amount in there, is there a warning? Does it calculate credit? I think the review does warn you re: age. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 5

It calculates the credit.  It gives you a warning.  Upon e-file you have to disable error checking.  I thought there was a way to do it "properly" without having to override error checking.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

Im surprised it actually gives error. What if you had daycare leading up to child turning 13 and then no daycare after 13th b-day?

0 Cheers