Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1116 worksheet won't delete

gfrommeyer87
Level 2

Although Form 1116 does not show as used in the form list, it is showing on the left with red error code and I cannot request signatures or efile the return. I have repeatedly right clicked and removed the form. It appears to accept the removal but it is still there.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Wait, what about putting that $14 from Sch 3 (I never directly enter foreign tax credit on Sch 3) onto the 1116 worksheet and marking the Paid box?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
PATAX
Level 15

Maybe try edit, delete form, for form 1116

0 Cheers
gfrommeyer87
Level 2

There is no Delete or Delete Form in Edit. Thanks though for the response. I have gone to forms to delete also and that doesn't do it.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Something must be feeding to the 1116 worksheet, you may need to back track from the error line on the worksheet (right click, choose Cross Reference near the bottom of the right click menu) and delete whatever is causing the error.

gfrommeyer87
Level 2

There is no cross reference on my right click menu. It takes me to paid and accrued squares and wants one of them checked - they are red. The only populated fields for information feeding in are the automatic transfers of standard deduction and other deductions (in this case the IRA contribution). I have tried checking one of the squares but that did not help.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Do you have any dividends entered? Double click, on one of your dividend entry lines and see if the additional page where you an input Foreign Tax Credit has a box mistakenly checked in or should be checked but isnt maybe?  There are Paid and Accrued boxes there.

0 Cheers
gfrommeyer87
Level 2

Didn't help. There was only one simple  line in dividends and there was no added schedule. I just deleted the dividends and Schedule B entirely and also deleted the foreign tax credit of $14 that was input on schedule 3. Still cannot delete the Form 1116 comp wksht. I'm considering deleting the entire tax return and starting over. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Weird, Im out of ideas, sorry. If its not too complex of a return, starting over from scratch might not be too bad of an idea.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Wait, what about putting that $14 from Sch 3 (I never directly enter foreign tax credit on Sch 3) onto the 1116 worksheet and marking the Paid box?

0 Cheers
gfrommeyer87
Level 2

OK - I did that - not having used a Form 1116 for that purpose before I added the amount marked as 1099, checked paid. Nothing flowed to 1040 but no error message and review showed nothing so I just added the amount back into the Schedule 3. IRS might be confused but at least the computation is correct. Thank you.

gfrommeyer87
Level 2

In case anyone else has this problem:  Do not check the box on info wksht that says you want to file 1116 even though not required. Filling out the Paid and 1099 information on the 1116 will make the error go away but by not checking the box the 1116 will not be transmitted. You will need to add the amount manually to schedule 3 however since it will not flow.

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Did you happen to have numbers in Foreign Tax carryover - regular tax or AMT?

Your problem doesn't make sense to me in terms of my experience with Form 1116.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
karenrae
Level 1

I've been having the same problem. My efile keeps getting rejected due to issues with form 1116, so I've decided to delete it altogether (and file an amended return later).. But it won't delete. 

0 Cheers
PWHITECPA
Level 2

I have this same problem this year. Deleted return, started from scratch, error appears and upon final review the error appears and I can't efile.

Crazy waste of our valuable time!

Did you finally get it resolved?

0 Cheers