Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1116 efile error

MelissaL
Level 4

Returns that include Form 1116 are being rejected as of 2/18.  Code: /Return/ReturnData/I.  The detail gives no line number and simply says data in the return is missing or invalid. There are no error codes on the form and there is no missing or invalid data. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

113 Comments 113
itonewbie
Level 15

Do you happen to have used "Various" as the date paid or accrued?  If so, you need to enter an actual date for e-filing purposes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
MelissaL
Level 4

Date is entered.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Just a hunch.  What did you enter for Country to which taxes were paid or accrued?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
jev
Level 3

I am having the same issue.  Correct dates are included. Nothing seems unusual with my entries.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitAustin  can you find any info on this? 

Ive got a preparer here in town calling me asking if I know what this rejection is about, hes getting it too!

FWIW I had one accepted yesterday with foreign tax credit, a measly $4 on their 1099DIV, so its not all of them that are getting kicked.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  I suppose the one you have qualified for 904(j) and no F.1116 was prepared?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So the preparer here in town with the same rejection just called, he sent his back through and it was accepted, so maybe just a transmission glitch?

MelissaL
Level 4

Hi. This is general category income, foreign tax paid on wages. Form 1116 shows a specific country and paid date. Without a line noted in the reject info I have absolutely no idea what Proseries wants us to fix or add. We were not having any issues then all of a sudden they are begin rejected. Thanks for your help!

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

*being

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Did you try submitting that again based on what Lisa was told?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Yes, all rejected. Ran program updates and review in every return.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitAustin  can you provide any news on this?  Is it on anyone's radar yet?

LesEdy
Level 3

I am having the same problem, two returns rejected so far, both with Paid and Various for the date.

On the other hand, a return went through with Accrued and a date of 12/31/20

I am going to try to efile a "Paid" 1116 with 12/31/20 instead of Various and see what happens.

0 Cheers
LesEdy
Level 3

A return that had Paid and Various was rejected.

I changed the Various to 12/31/20 and it went through.

I do not know whether this is a Proseries or IRS issue (or both), but I was not aware of any change prohibiting "Various" when the method is Paid. I'd sure like some information/clarification from Intuit on this as technically 12/31/20 is not the Paid date, rather Various is more accurate.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@LesEdy The IRS MeF Schema changed this year and an exact date is now required for e-filing although this does not impact returns filed on paper.  The OP confirmed earlier that the rejection is not related to this date issue.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
LesEdy
Level 3

I see what you're saying.  Someone is getting errors even with a date entered.  I have not experienced that yet, entering a date has fixed all my rejects so far. I noticed that Proseries is "forcing" us to check either the paid or accrued box, although I file plenty of 1116's where there is no current year foreign tax to report (various reasons apply) and I don't see why one should have to check a box when the rest of that part of the form is empty.  Probably if I check a box then I'll have to enter an (irrelevant) date too...

0 Cheers
LesEdy
Level 3

And it sure would be nice for INTUIT to communicate these changes to us (did they?), and not fellow users.  That's like going to the doctor and getting your examination by someone else in the waiting room.  Who are we paying anyway?

0 Cheers
Carol110
Level 2

I am having the same issue.  I have the date 12/31/20 entered, but the rejects seems to have something to do with the input of "various" for the country.  It is foreign tax paid on mutual funds often paid to several countries.  The taxpayer even called their investment advisor at Vanguard who said there is no way they will trace all the countries some of these funds are paying taxes to.  I am hoping an update will fix this.

0 Cheers
LesEdy
Level 3

If it's mutual funds you can select "RIC" as the country name (stands for Regulated Investment Company, I think). Form 1116 instructions:

You don't need to report income
passed through from a mutual
fund or other regulated
investment company (RIC) on a
country-by-country basis. Total all
income, in the applicable category,
passed through from the mutual fund or
other RIC and enter the total in a single
column in Part I. Enter “RIC” on line i.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitBettyJo   anybody out there?  Ive been tagging Austin, maybe he's on vacation?

0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Just-Lisa-Now- , 

Thanks for the mention! I'll take a look and see what I can find. 

-Betty Jo 

MelissaL
Level 4

Wondering if you've had any luck reaching anyone who knows anything about what is going on with this error. I've got about 25 returns that were submitted up to 5 days ago that I can't resolve.

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Did you have any luck? I am on with tech support and she told me to run Refresh Updates. I did that but it didn't make it work.

0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Hi there @MelissaL , 

Can you check to see if you have information entered in this form? (Form 1116, 1116 Comp Wks) 

If you enter information on this form, you should be able to submit the return. 

image.png

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Thanks, but that's not the issue.  The form is completed correctly and no information is missing. It's the form itself and someone at Proseries is working on it.

MelissaL
Level 4

Foreign country code from form isn’t converting for e-file. Under investigation and no work around at moment.  Will be fixed with an update as soon as possible. 

itonewbie
Level 15

@itonewbie wrote:

Just a hunch.  What did you enter for Country to which taxes were paid or accrued?

@MelissaL If country doesn't convert, that would explain the rejection.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Lynn Krabacher
Level 1

Does anyone know if Intuit was notified and is fixing the Form 1116 reject problem?

This whole glitch regarding Form 1116 reject is getting to be a major problem for me.

My entries for the foreign tax credit are all clean and correct.

Can anyone help?

tylerc
Level 1

Hello IntuitAustin,

I, at one point, had entered foreign tax info into a return and linked to Copy 1 of Form 1116. I've since removed the foreign tax paid and all data on the 1116 Comp Wks, but am not able to delete the form from the return and the error you pictured is populating in my return. Any idea how to remove the 1116 Comp Wks?

Thanks for your help.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
CTRL + W Remove form that doesnt do it?

0 Cheers
N411BC
Level 3

I had this issue.  Resolved when I took a look at the gross income as reported on Schedule B Dividends in the subschedule was incorrect. No idea why this would cause a reject

0 Cheers
N411BC
Level 3

Premature.  Still rejected 😞

0 Cheers
robbinscpafirm
Level 2

An investigation is currently underway for this error. If you call support and ask them to add you to the investigation you will get notified when a fix occurs.

cvreddy1981
Level 1

Hi Austin,

I am using TurboTax online and I have the same problem.

I think the form shows exactly what the problem is. If you see the "Date" column in the form it says to use "mm/dd/yy" format, whereas in the TurboTax online, I can not use this format and it has to be "mm/dd/yyyy".

"yy" vs "yyyy".

So I suspect this causing my e-file to get rejected with the error code "ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt".

Can you check and advise how to overcome this error for TuboTax online users?

0 Cheers
MAGUIRETAXES
Level 1

I have the same issue. Client has a credit carryover. I've tried paid and accrued. I also tried adding a dollar in for the current year like we do on $0 income returns. I tried reentering everything from the worksheet. Keeps getting rejected. I'd rather wait for a solution than have the client mail in considering the delays for mail in refunds in the past year.

0 Cheers
BRIANC
Level 1

I'm having same issue with a client who has credit carryover.  E-file keeps getting rejected.

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

I reported this issue on 2/24.  This is the email we received after 2 hours on the phone with "tech support".

The unexpected behavior has been reported to our engineering team for review. 

It appears the Foreign Country code is not converting for e-file, taken from Form 1116 line I column A-C.

We do not have a workaround to offer at this time, a future update may be needed.

As soon as we learn more we will inform you by email with a resolution.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Haoleboysurfec
Level 2

I'm having this issue.  I've tried everything as pointed out in the thread to no avail.   Funny enough I had no problem back in early February with the same form.  Makes sense that it would be a country code or date incompatibility since it is affecting so many, and my F1116 is not complex.

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

I just spoke to Proseries. The last note on the case is from today and they are still working on it. No timeframe for resolution. 

MelissaL
Level 4

All of our rejected returns are clients who transferred from 2019 with carryover. We rebuilt one of the rejected returns as if it were new and submitted it. The return was accepted within minutes. We are going to try with a couple other files.  If anyone is willing to give this a try with a file or two and post their results, that would be helpful.

Haoleboysurfec
Level 2

Mine is not a transferred return from prior year but does have carryover.   Their 2019 return was done by a different preparer. Interesting.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

We got lucky with that one. The other 2 we tried were rejected. I'm going to call Proseries in the morning and see if I can send them a sanitized file of the one that went through. Maybe they can find a clue.

0 Cheers
Haoleboysurfec
Level 2

Seems like you are on to something.   May be multiple issues.   Can I ask about the one that went through, what was the country code used (RIC, Various, Germany, etc.) and what was the date used (Various, actual date)?   It is crazy that you got one to go through but not the others.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
MelissaL
Level 4

Afghanistan, 12/31/20.  This client owes money. The 2 that rejected using the same method have refunds. Shrug

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Any foreign tax carryovers? seems like most people with the issue have carryovers.

0 Cheers
LesEdy
Level 3

I have not had any problems lately. The only problem I had was caused by putting Various for the date of the foreign taxes being paid. Now I'm putting 12/31/20 for the date instead of Various and everything is going through.  I have not tried yet putting "Various" for the country, which I occasionally do when I have lots and lots of countries and don't want to make lots of copies of 1116.  It would be nice if INTUIT/Proseries would communicate with its users a bit more, this is like patients in the waiting room trying to cure each other while the doctor picks his nose in the examination room.

Haoleboysurfec
Level 2

Mine has a refund, has a carryover from 2019, passive income (dividends).  I have tried Various and RIC for countries.  Paid.  12/31/20 for date paid.     Majority of foreign tax paid was to Germany, but there are several other countries.   I have tried to efile multiple times making small tweaks to country, dates to no avail.   This is painful. 

0 Cheers
Haoleboysurfec
Level 2

I think you may be right about having something to do with carryovers.  I just removed mine and now my Form 1116 says "Form Not Required To Be Filed."  My carryovers are small and my total Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) is under $300, so I think it may have something to do with the carryovers and forcing submission of Form 1116 in the case of carryovers (even if otherwise Form 1116 is not necessary if the FTC is under $300/$600).   Hope they fix soon.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

its the carryovers that are causing the issue.

0 Cheers