Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1099Q

470pitt
Level 3

When I put the 1099Q on the tax return the earnings are showing as income and he owes taxes.  He used all this money for college did I do something wrong

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You need to scroll down the student expenses worksheet to the 1099Q section and be sure youve got the expenses allocated to those monies first.  I dont have my program open right now, so I cant give you a screen shot, but I know the area is in there!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
470pitt
Level 3

I did put the tuition amount but it is taxing the earnings and charging the 10% penalty

0 Cheers
470pitt
Level 3

when you have time can you please screen shot me the form ThankYou

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Here is your Help article:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1099-q/help/1040-entering-information-from-form-1099-q/...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
470pitt
Level 3

Lisa

You are so knowledgable about everything and your help is great but I am still having trouble with this 1099Q.  Because the 1099Q is in the students SS number I am reporting on his return, however, it is taxing the earnings and a 10% penalty.  He used all this money for college what am I doing wrong.  It is crunch time and they just dropped there taxes off. Thank You

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

If they just dropped their taxes off.....file an extension.   I don't let my clients procrastination give me high blood pressure trying to cram their return into the last minutes of the filing deadline.

taxiowa
Level 8
Level 8

I take it the parents are claiming the child and claimed an education credit for the taxpayer.  Then you need to enter the student worksheet like what was done on the parents.  Then link the 1099-Q to that worksheet.  On the worksheet you have to designate that $4,000 was used by parent in figuring their AOC.  Then the left over expenses should eliminate the earnings from 1099-Q.  Remember to add room & board to students worksheet.

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Of course you know that expenses paid from 529 plans include more than just tuition and fees?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
470pitt
Level 3

I am still so confused about the 1099Q can you help

0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 8
Level 8

Did you enter the 1098-T on the students return?  Did you fill out the student info worksheet on the students return?

0 Cheers