Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1099-R Qualified Disaster Check box gives error code

mikejdavid
Level 1

I have a client that received a distribution from an IRA, with Code 7 in box 7.  They live in a Disaster area and what to only pay tax on this over 3 years, but the Form 1099 R worksheet will not update when I check the Qualified Disaster check boxes?  I have tried this since late February and have updated the software regularly, but still get this error message: "The Qualified Disaster check box - You are unable to file at this time because we have not had time to update the program for recent tax legislation that Congress passed for Qualified Disaster distributions. This may be to the taxpayer's benefit..."

And the taxable amount will NOT change on the front of Form 1040, to the amount needed for the disaster qualified amount?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
BobKamman
Level 15

What year is the return?  The latest I can find is that this applies to 2018 and earlier years.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/disaster-relief-bill-includes-retirement-plan-distribution-and-...

BruceG
Level 1

I am getting the same message. My client has a distribution as the result of the disaster in 2019. Not wanting to spread it over three years yet the program gives an error that Intuit hasn't had time to update the program.  Been getting this message for over two months.  What gives here?  Are you not actually going to update the software.  What do I tell my client?

Please advise ASAP

Thanks,

Bruce G.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I'm still trying to find where it applies to years after 2018.

0 Cheers
MrTaxPC
Level 1

I'm having the same frustrating issue!  A phone call to Customer Support today says there's no anticipated software update date.  The SECURE Act of 2019 was signed into law on December 20th 2019, so certainly enough time to revise the 2019 software to reflect the changes.

So what do we advise our clients???  Only a few weeks to the July 15th filing deadline.

PLEASE advise ASAP!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"So what do we advise our clients???  Only a few weeks to the July 15th filing deadline."

File an extension.

Ex-AllStar
danuks
Level 1

I have researched this heavily as i lost my house during the nebraska flooding in march of 2019.  I took a distribution thinking the irs would like in 2018 keep it penalty free and possibly partially tax free.  There was supposed to be a form 8915D due out in June of this year.  I have a copy of the instructions, but there is no such form on the IRS website as of today.  I have to call the IRS but will wait until Thursday when they will hopefully be a bit less busy.

0 Cheers